• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Arcam Solo & Remote IR control

Wazza69

Hi all,

A few quick questions...

I want to use my Arcam Solo Music and DVD player in a (well ventilated) cupboard. I understand that I can use some sort of external receiver/cable to receive the input and pass it to the solo. Any ideas of what I would use and where I would get it? I don’t want anything permanent (i.e. in wall)

Also, what type of connector would go from the IR out to the DVD player? How would this be connected?

Thanks,
Waz

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I don't know if the Solo has an IR in connector and if so whether the connector supplies 12V power (and how much) or not. You will need to check the manual or Crusty's filespace for this.

If the Solo has an IR out, you can connect a 3.5mm mono lead from the Solo to the DVD player (Arcam DVD players have unpowered IR connectors). An external connector block driving both units is generally preferable.

I'm using a Sonance IR system (CR1+CB1). Wiring diagrams are provided with the equipment, but it depends on where you're drawing the power. There are also IR solutions from Russound and Xantech. All three should be available from your dealer.

LozWesson

Standard Member
One way to do this would be to get an RF transmitter that replaces one of the AA or AAA batteries in your existing remote. That transmits to a receiver that you put in the cupboard - and it blasts the IR to your device. I got one and it works really well all over the house. Search for SV1100 if you're interested - it works surprisingly well and I like that you don't need to have an ir "eye" in the lounge as it sends the RF from within the existing remote.
Loz

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom