• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question ARCAM Solo Music 2.0 (Old System) DAB no output ?

tegeje

Novice Member
I just received an old ARCAM SOLO Music (2.0) System, All in One:.
The Box has CD, DAB, FM, 2 Channel LM3886 Power Amps.
Besides that the microswitches on the front panel sometimes don't work I have a problem listening to DAB.
- I have performed the DAB Scan (Hamburg) and receive the DAB Bouquet 5C, 7A and 11C.
The Signal strength indicator shows 100 %, but there is no sound on the analog output !
FM, CD and other analog inputs do work well, but not the DAB input.
Is there any 'trick' or menu seting which need to be set to make this work ?
Any check I can perform ?
many thanks,
Thomas

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm in the UK so we only get DAB here and not DAB+ but I seem to recall DAB+ is more common in the rest of Europe.

Which solo model do you have, the original Solo I believe only had standard DAB whereas the newer models have DAB+.

I may be completely wrong with this theory.

tegeje

Novice Member
Hello Jamie,
thanks for your hint, and unfortuneatley, I think, you are completely right.
From Wikipedia: DAB

As DAB is not forward compatible with DAB+, older DAB receivers cannot receive DAB+ broadcasts. However, DAB receivers that will be able to receive the new DAB+ standard via a firmware upgrade went on sale in July 2007. If a receiver is DAB+ compatible, there will be a sign on the product packaging.

DAB+ broadcasts have launched in several countries like Australia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Hong Kong (now terminated), Italy, Malta, Norway, Poland, Switzerland, Belgium (October 2017)[9], the United Kingdom and the Netherlands. Malta was the first country to launch DAB+ in Europe. Several other countries are also expected to launch DAB+ broadcasts over the next few years, such as Austria, Hungary, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia. South Africa began a DAB+ technical pilot in November 2014 on channel 13F in Band 3. If DAB+ stations launch in established DAB countries, they can transmit alongside existing DAB stations that use the older MPEG-1 Audio Layer II audio format, and most existing DAB stations are expected to continue broadcasting until the vast majority of receivers support DAB+.[10]

So a follow up question is:
Does ARCAM provide a firmware update for the initial SOLO Music model to support the DAB+ specific audio codec ?

Thx,
Thomas

Jamie

Distinguished Member
So a follow up question is:
Does ARCAM provide a firmware update for the initial SOLO Music model to support the DAB+ specific audio codec ?

I'm not absolutely sure either way but this old thread seems to suggest not I'm afraid.
DAB+ for arcam solo?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
While not necessarily an answer to your question do you listen to stations that have an online streamed version at all? The Arcamni believe has both an optical and analogue input so plenty of scope to connect a device to stream the stations you want to listen to.

Options include but aren't limited to a Chromecast audio, echo dot, Teufel Connector and loads of other streaming devices that can stream internet radio.

tegeje

Novice Member
Hello Jamie,
for this purpose I use a Vodafone Mediaplug Device. (Vodafone Media Plug - digimu). That small thing is kind of 'powerful'. I can stream my flac encoded cd copies from my NAS using Bubble UPNP, and also the internet radio stations from Fritzbox.
My intention when buying the used ARCAM Solo was to use the DAB Tuner, because the Analog FM Channels are switched off by Kabel-Deutschland (now Vodafone). I will elaborate my options to enable FM by an aerial antenna, first tests with the ARCAM FM Tuner where quite promising.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom