Arcam Solo Movie Faults

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by rosskin, Sep 11, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rosskin

rosskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my first Solo Movie 2 weeks ago. It worked absolutely perfectly for 2 days, then .........

First issue was "white line interference" when watching a DVD. I switched to the Sky HDD box and got the same but worse and then the picture went black.

I took it back to the dealer who tested it and told me it was working fine in the shop. They suggested that I change the Video Resolution to 720p or 1080i rather than leave it on the Auto setting as there are problems with the "handshake" with some TV's (mine is a Sony Bravia).

I duly collected the Solo Movie and took it home. Rather than connect up all the speakers etc, I just connected the HDMI leads. The front panel LCD was only partly illuminated and the Remote would not work the Solo Movie (no probls with controlling the Sat box or the TV). Tried resetting the remote, but no joy. Picture OK though.

Took it back to the dealer who sent it back and got a replacement (new) within 3 working days (excellent timing).

Brought the new Solo Movie home tonight, connected up the HDMI and............

DVD works no probs. TV works no probs, but............ no HDMI from the Sat box. Sat box to TV direct HDMI cable is not a problem.

I'm now getting more than a little concerned about Arcam's quality control. Anyone else with similar issues?

2. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    For my background info, what are the HDMI cable lengths and brands you are using to and from Solo Movie. Also, which model Bravia TV is it?
    Thanks.

3. rosskin

rosskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update on this. Dealer connected external DVD player to first Aux and then Sat HDMI inputs and got the same issue. Hooked it up to a DLP Projector and the output resolution picked up by the projector was weird - something like 3650 x 365/120hz.

Dealer phoned Arcam and they have immediately dispatched a new box - can't fault the customer service.

4. patrickkk

patrickkk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same over here. I got my Movie Solo 5.1 back in June and had a long list of small issues. A few back and forth to the dealer and one firmware upgrade later, my movie solo was working.

I agree that the quality control is not up to date but the customer support is great. That’s better than the reverse :)

5. rosskin

rosskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further update. Replacement Solo Movie arrived as promised and now works like a charm. Excellent customer service.http://www.avforums.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif
    :thumbsdow

This is probably a bug more than anything else, but...........

I've also got the rDock which works great. Minor issue when using the CR100 remote to scroll through lists on the ipod (30Gb ipod Video). I have several hundred albums, artists etc on the ipod. When I scroll through a large list of say Artists using the "up/down" keys on the CR100, holding the up or down key for more than a few seconds generally results in the Solo Movie LCD display blanking out and the Solo Movie "freezing" to the extent that none of the buttons on either the CR100 or the Solo Movie itself will work, including the "standby" button on the front of the Solo Movie. The CR100 clearly sends a signal out, but the Solo Movie doesn't seem to be able to process it. The only way I can get it to "reset" is to switch off the power (using the rocker switch on the rear of the Solo Movie).

The ipod also "freezes" so that I cannot use the scroll wheel on the ipod to stop the track playing etc.

6. sugarrage

sugarrage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive experienced the exact same problem with my rdock and movie solo, everything freezing when i scroll through my artists list and can only b reset by the switch on the back. I'm hoping its an issue that can be dealt with in a future firmware.

7. h4rdy

h4rdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my Solo Movie for 3 months. Then last week I got the blue screen of death whilst trying to watch a DVD. I could hear sound as normal but nothing to see. So I turned it off and then back on and nothing! Again I turned it off and on and I got the Arcam welcome screen it turned green and then back to the blue screen of death! I phoned my dealer who told me to try the composite which worked ok (obvious poor normal quality) took it back and they gave me a new one after testing it in the shop and getting zilch on screen basically completely dead HDMI output. I would not mind but it just sits there nobody touches it except me and to be honest I don't use it that much. Have I only got another 3 months? The only thing that springs to mind is that I had one of the first ones as I had to wait 1 1/2 months after I ordered. Shop service good though but does Arcam tell them to change them immediately because they know of a fault? If it goes again I will ask for my money back/change as I do not want a duff unit at the end of warranty. Other than that lovely quality sound and picture!

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    No, this is pretty much standard procedure by Arcam. Normally any unit that is less than 60 days old and is faulty is swapped out for new by Arcam. This excellent customer service is one of many reasons why I continue to support them as a brand so fervently. Their customer service to end users and dealers alike is almost unrivalled.

9. h4rdy

h4rdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it looks like you are right after thoroughly reading other posts. This is my first Arcam experience after lusting for many years. I have never had any other problems with my Pioneer/Denon/Yamaha AV stuff so am just a little shocked that a premium product can die overnight with no pre warnings. £2k is a lot of money for a home cinema in a box! It is good though! I have just lost confidence in it at the moment.