Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 (Gen 3)

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by myoki, Oct 3, 2016.

1. myoki

myoki
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I recently purchased this, primarily to simplify my setup whilst retaining a good level of performance. If has replaced a Sony AV amp, blu-ray player, Audiolab stereo amp, MDAC and a raspberry PI streamer running Roon.

A few less boxes and wires

I'm generally really happy with it (after a false start when I had to return and exchange the first one as the chassis was not level).

Does anyone have experience of this in use and the setup? Specifically how to setup so that you can switch to stereo and 5.1 AV use simply? I have the audio setup for 5.1 with sub but then when playing music it sends a signal to the sub which I do not want. You can go in and change the setup to 2CH without sub but it's a bit user unfriendly, it seems to be missing a 2CH DIRECT option from the remote. I used to have this on my Sony amp and I see some of the arcam AV Amps also have it.

Also, it is supposed to support AIFF in the streamer but I can only get WAV and AAC to work. ALAC would have been even better as that is what my library is but this is not supported.

Appreciate any thoughts, views and tips.
    Cheers.

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +880
    You could get a Harmony remote and program an activity to change from 5.1 to 2.0 - that would only mean a single key press to achieve what you want.

The simplest solution for the files would be to create a mirror of your ALAC files in FLAC as FLAC is a supported format. You can do this without any loss. Just google Alac to Flac convertor and take your pick.

3. ezhik1

ezhik1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased Solo 5.1 Movie. It sounds great for music. Some MAJOR issues:

1. No engineering menu. Have searched everywhere. Nope cant find it. So far it looks like it does not exist. So impossible to adjust the levels of individual speakers.

2. Absolutely zero information on what is inside of this thing. Ok - its a class G amp - there is even a separate flier. But for example what is the DAC that is inside? No - they wont tell you. There is no spec sheet or data sheet for this thing anywhere. Bizzare.

4. rba

rba
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ezhik1,
    Hope you well.
    i'm Considering purchasing this unit - Arcam Solo Movie (blu ray) 5.1 and I'll extremely appreciate if you will please let me know: if this receiver allows pass through when the receiver is in standby mode? (For those times, I just want to watch Satellite TV without turning the Unit on nor connect a HDMI cable straight to the TV).
    Do I need a certain HDMI Cable (or cable length) to be able to use this option?
    Looking forward to hear from you.
    Kind Regards
    Ram