Arcam software/hardware upgrades?

KenX

Standard Member
Is there a list somewhere of the hardware upgrades that have been offered by Arcam over the years, e.g. the AV8 can be upgraded to AV9, but what about other players, processors and amplifiers?
Of course, the main reason is that I'm curious what to expect for my AVP700/P1000, based on what has been done in the past on other equipment.

KenX

Standard Member
The AV9 has a larger HDMI switch, and the AV8 can be upgraded with this. I was wondering whether this might be possible to the fit into the AVP700 too. Of course, an external HDMI switch would work too, but I'd like to have one that very easily can be couple to the selected source.

What upgrades has been offered for the products that are currently are available from Arcam?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Can I suggest that this be taken to a thread of its own from post 35 onwards. This sticky is purely for the announcement of firmware updates.

KenX

Standard Member
Thanks for the move and sorry for spamming the sticky thread.

I keep hearing that Arcam have a good history of hardware and software upgrades, but since I don't have much experience with Arcam it would be interesting to know what has been upgraded in the past, and if there is any sort of upgrade roadmap for the current products.

I have upgraded my Linn equipment many times over the years, and although I realized I was trapped in a brilliant business model, I still appreciated this.
Most recently, I've upgraded the elements of my 5140 speakers transforming them into Espek speakers.
I'm about to buy AudioVector KX as rear speakers, both because they play well, but also because I like AudioVector's upgrade tradition (not that I expect to get any upgrades of KX though).

It might perhaps be better to buy entirely new equipment (i.e. better price/performance), but I'm actually willing to spend extra money on an upgrade because the decision is usually an easy one, compared to selling the old equipment and deciding what new equipment to buy, which takes an awful lot of time and thinking from me.

As a perhaps not so realistic extreme, it would be fun to buy the FMJ version of the DV137, to be able to upgrade it to blue-ray/hd-dvd, dts pro, ddhd, etc. even if it means that almost the entire player needs to be replaced :)

zamwessell

KenX said:
The AV9 has a larger HDMI switch, and the AV8 can be upgraded with this. I was wondering whether this might be possible to the fit into the AVP700 too. Of course, an external HDMI switch would work too, but I'd like to have one that very easily can be couple to the selected source.

What upgrades has been offered for the products that are currently are available from Arcam?

Do you mean there are more HDMI inputs or the physical size of the HDMI sockets are larger?

If the AV9 has a larger HDMI switch,does that mean it may be upgradeable to HDMI 1.3 for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD or am i being stupid ?

I would buy an AV9/P7 combo tomorrow if i knew it could be upgraded for the future

KenX

Standard Member
Sorry, I meant that it has more inputs. AV9 has a 5-way switch, while AVP700/AVR350 only have a 2-way switch. A 2-way switch is the closest you can get to a 1-way switch, i.e. no switch at all.....
I want the 5-way switch in my AVP700 pronto!
Or actually, I'd like to have a 5-to-2 switch so I can choose whether the signal goes to the plasma or to the projector...
For now, I'm using a combination of rgb and hdmi cables, just to adapt to the avp700...

zamwessell said:
Do you mean there are more HDMI inputs or the physical size of the HDMI sockets are larger?

If the AV9 has a larger HDMI switch,does that mean it may be upgradeable to HDMI 1.3 for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD or am i being stupid ?

I would buy an AV9/P7 combo tomorrow if i knew it could be upgraded for the future

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom