Arcam rLead & AVR400 (or 600/500) - Problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonsmith, Jan 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jonsmith

jonsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anybody tried using an Arcam rLead with the AVR400 (or indeed the 500 or 600)? I keep getting a 'Not Connected' message when I press the iPod button on the remote. I can get audio out if I switch the input to VCR, but I'd like the control functionality too, otherwise I would have gone for a cheaper option than the rLead. I've tried updating to the latest FW/software version, but it hasn't helped.

One other irritation - the RCA/phono leads on the rLead don't actually reach any inputs on the amp when the 9-pin connector is plugged into the iPod connection on the rear panel. I've had to extend them.

2. ridewhistler

ridewhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I got the rlead for Christmas and have found exactly the same problem. Its really frustrating. Cannot get it to work. I emailed Arcam for some advice and they haven't replied. The AVR400 manual clearly says you can connect using the rlead.

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Probs an obvious question but the setup menu on the AVR600 allows you to select irDock, rDock or rLead. Default is rDock.

Have you checked this as they all operate differently?

4. jonsmith

jonsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks very much for your suggestion. If there's an option for that on the AVR400, it must be quite well hidden. At least I cannot find it.

5. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    It is :)

Try the second option on the left from the main menu (its where you can select video signals for different inputs) and scroll down. Should be where you also can select the default input for the iPod input.

6. jonsmith

jonsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks again. Had a look at the irDock manual online and I can see where that option is on the AVR600. However it's not there on the AVR400 menu. I've looked everywhere else I can think of too.

7. ridewhistler

ridewhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Agreed. I can't find this option either. It doesn't appear to have this setting and you can't connect the rlead properly. I don't think it is compatible with the AVR400 despite the manual and website implying that it is.*

8. ridewhistler

ridewhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have now emailed Arcam twice to ask them to clarify this issue. They haven't responded to either message.
    I wonder if they are avoiding having to admit that they are not compatible and you can only use the phono connectors.
    It's rubbish if this is the case. Can anyone advise or confirm?

9. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Hmmm....does sound like theres a possible incompatibility. But can you not try another rLead?

10. ridewhistler

ridewhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well, there are two of us on here finding the same problem. I only have the one rLead though so can't compare.
    Also there is not enough length in the phono leads to reach the recommended VCR inputs when the RS232 is connected. I tried the closest phono input and it is still stretched to the max. I was hoping to get some advice from either someone who has used it successfully with an AVR400, perhaps in a hifi shop, or from Arcam directly. No luck so far on either front.
    I bought the lead from Superfi but they say they can't advise as the amp is an instore purchase only!
    Apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread.*

11. jonsmith

jonsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not hijacking in my opinion, it was good to see I wasn't the only person with this problem!

Is there a technology exhibition that Arcam might be at just now? I've found their email responses to be rather slow at such times, but pretty good at other times. I will try emailing them as well.

I don't particularly want to have to buy another rLead & my suspicion is that as it stands the rLead is not compatible. I'm wondering whether the option on the 400 to select the type of dock is missing by mistake and could be easily rectified with a software update.

12. ridewhistler

ridewhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    True. You may be right. The whole company has gone to Vegas?
    Call me cynical but I was wondering if perhaps it was the case that the reference was included in the manual in error and that's why they are not responding. They would have to confirm that they had the design wrong - lead too short/RS232 too far away from phonos.
    Could a firmware update add this kind of functionality? Does the iPod mode give full funcionalty?
    Does anyone know if the lead for the r/irdock is different? Does it connect properly and give full iPod control from the AVR400?

If so, anyone know where I can get a cracking deal on one?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  13. ridewhistler

ridewhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was just having another go with my rLead and I'm starting to think it might be faulty.
    Even with only the USB plug connected to a mains supply plug it does not charge my iPhone. My iPhone does detect when the connector is inserted/removed but that is it. I just cannot work out how to do anything else.

14. ridewhistler

ridewhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    @jonsmith
    I have just received confirmation from Arcam that the rLead is not compatible with the AVR400 and it won't give you the ability to control it an iPod/iPhone. Here's the message:
    Sadly the R-lead and the original R-dock are not compatible with the AVR400 and it will not be able to communicate with Iphone. Sadly it is only the later IRdock and the new DR Dock ( released in 2 weeks) that will now run with the new platform that the aVR400 uses to communicate with Apple products.
    --------------------

The DR Dock does look smart but it looks like it will be £200 everywhere.
    Have to start saving extra pennies on top of the money for my iPad 3!

15. jonsmith

jonsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the information. Arcam never replied to either of my emails. Must confess that I'm a bit miffed as I wouldn't have bought the rLead if the manual for the AVR400 hadn't said it was an option.

16. ridewhistler

ridewhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hmmm. Agreed.

Think I will highlight this error to them and see what they say.