1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam RGB via phonos

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stanleyntl, Jan 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I read that Arcam players can output RGB via phonos.
    What performance lift will this give if using a 4 phono to scart lead (RGB+comp sync to scart), compared to a scart to scart connection? :D

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Yes, my DV29 can output RGBs via the component+composite video outputs.
    IMO the improvement in PQ is unlikely to be that great if converting the other end back to scart, as the weak link will be the scart connector. The phono leads could very easily be far better quality than the cables within a scart to scart lead, but once they are plugged into a low quality scart adaptor I doubt you would keep the additional quality other than perhaps picking up less interference on the way to the screen. The real benefit of this connection method is when connecting to an RGBs phono input on a screen.

All the above is just my opinion as I have never tryed connecting my DVD player to a TV this way, so I could well be wrong.

Mark.

3. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Lektropacks do a 4 Phono (RGBs) to Scart lead, so there would be no adapter to degrade the connection at TV end!

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Maybe! But a scart plug is still a fairly low quality connection.

Feel free to buy the lead and let us know from your first hand experience how good (or bad) it is. As I said I have never tried so can't say for sure if it would be any better.
    I do have a scart to 4 phono lead that connects my TiVo to the video processor. I use this because it lets me connect directly without any other converter boxes in the chain, but I only use it as TiVo only has scart output. Before this I was going scart to scart into a JS-Tech RGB>YUV converter and then into the processor. The processor then had to convert the signal again into RGBHV to send to my plasma. At least I have remove one stage of conversion, plus the lead was cheaper than the RGB>YUV converter.

Mark.