Arcam Repairs

zazwaldo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi again guys,

I deposited my DV137 with the retailer I purchased it from last Monday as it is faulty. I called said retailer today to get an update as I had heard nothing and was basically told Arcam's normal way of doing business is that there are NO updates given and that my unit will be returned 14 days from the time Arcam received it.

I've never encountered a method of warranty repair and replacement like this and for some reason got the impression I was being fobbed off can someone alay my fears and vouch for this being the normal process, stop worrying and just sit tight and wait for the return of my unit.

Over the years I have had to send several bits of equipment back to Arcam and I currently have a power amp with them!

They do tend to take a couple of weeks to get the repair turned around and I suspect that its hard for a dealer to get an update on a specific item they have only just sent off.

Personally I expect to receive my power amp back next week, which will have been 14-20-days!

My dealer did tell me they are busy; which is slightly worrying :confused:

Moto

I visited Arcam. It's only a small company.

So busy doesn't necessarily mean with repairs!

My Arcam amp never needed rpairing, unlike my NAD! Still love the NAD though.

I guess that alays my fears a wee bit. I figured Arcam was a relatively small outfit in the grand scheme of things most high quality manufacturers are.

As I said, I just had the feeling the retailer was fobbing me off. My amp and DVD player are my first ARCAM purchases. Wholly impressed with the sound and picture quality but as my DVD player is faulty still finding my way with the dealer network

The normal turnaround time for repair on Arcam DiVa range products is about 2 weeks. From when I book in a repair I do not normally contact the customer again until it has been repaired and returned unless it is taking unusually long.

In summary, a two week repair time is quite normal and 4-6 weeks has been known to happen if spare parts required are not in stock or available at the time.

Arcam is a wicked little company.

There's a little Arcam milk float that collects toroidal transformers from a company up the road...

They have a room where other manufacturer's kit is taken apart to reveal their secrets..

They liase with Cambridge university on projects...

And you can just tell they love what they do.

I would never sell my Arcam amp.

They have a room where other manufacturer's kit is taken apart to reveal their secrets..

Hi Marvinbush911, I agree on the most part with your sentiments but if the above line is hearsay I'll have to delete it shortly I'm afraid..:lesson:

Dan.

Hi Marvinbush911, I agree on the most part with your sentiments but if the above line is hearsay I'll have to delete it shortly I'm afraid..:lesson:

Dan.

It's not hearsay at all. I have been in the room. I saw all the kit and they told me what they were doing. Most manufacturers take apart other manufacturers kit.

I did part of my final year project at university on Arcam. Perhaps should have made that clear.

Actually we sold one of the Milk floats because it had got very very old. We still have one which we use to transport finished goods to our warehouse, it is not only a cheap way to transport them but it is environmentally better than running a petrol engine for less than a mile.

I don't think we have ever used it to pick up transformers, as our UK supplier is about 10 miles away and the milk float would be a real pain over that distance but I could be wrong as I have only been at ARCAM for 8 years.

Repair times are usually 2 weeks but I belive it is taking a bit longer at the moment due to staff holidays over the summer.

Regards Andrew

Just to add my two cents worth.....

The only time I've ever required a repair was with an old Alpha 7SE CD player, it was a weird fault and I was very impressed with the manner in which I was dealt with. There was no dealer nearby me at the time and I managed to deal directly with Arcam who liased with me via e-mail in order that they fully understood the nature of the fault. Before the unit was returned it was thoroughly tested and working like a dream.

For a small company there customer service kicks the c**p out of the larger electronics manufacturers.

For a small company there customer service kicks the c**p out of the larger electronics manufacturers.

Agreed, they aint perfect but most of the time they put their competitors to shame with regards to customer service.

I'm quite surprised your dealer did not just swap out your kit if you only bought it a few days ago rather than force you to wait for it to be repaired...

I'm quite surprised your dealer did not just swap out your kit if you only bought it a few days ago rather than force you to wait for it to be repaired...

I deposited my DV137 with the retailer I purchased it from last Monday as it is faulty.

I think he was saying he deposited the unit with the dealer last Monday, not bought it then.

I bought the kit in May but due to working abroad only got the chance to use it in anger last week between assignments. Alas, it proved to be faulty hence the return to dealer and the horrible feeling you get when you spend the thick end of 5k and watch 1 full DVD before something goes pear shaped.

I'm sure you've all been down the same road at some point. I just look forward to it coming back perfect and 6 months from now it'll all be forgotten. In my industry we aim for no reworks I guess this kinda rubs off onto non work life a bit.

Can I just reiterate my point that when it was set up and working the 1 DVD I managed to watch (Kill Bill 2) and the partial of Swordfish blew me away with the clarity and quality, and my AVR350 is an amazing step up from my old DSPA-5. So much so I stepped out and bought 6 new speakers to compliment it (Mission Elegantes (for asthetic as well as sound reasons, sorry) and a REL R205). I'm really loking forward to getting the DVD player back booking some dolihays and giving my new system a good workout.

repair to my 250 took about 6 weeks, but to be fair the amp was 3 months out of warranty, and Arcam agreed to a warranty repair so it was all done gratis. Everything grinds to a halt in the summer holidays.

Thanks to PJ Hifi who phoned me when I was nearly 4000m up in the sky in the French Alps! Bad time to take a phone call...even if it was to say my favourite amp was finally fixed!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom