Arcam remote controls.

J

JetJockey

Hi.

Sorry, really, but got to ask, preferably of John Dawson.

Why do the remote controls of the DV79 and the AVR300 perform so badly?

My reason for asking is that having taken time to audition and select £2300's worth of kit and then take it home and spend days installing it, I get pretty irritable when I find the remotes acceptance angle is appalling, and the response speed is diabolical. (Dont start me on the Cabinet dismantling after the Faulty cooling fan circuitry).

Kit at these prices and in this performance bracket, should supply remotes whose performance is a given. I should not have to go out and spend another £90 on a Xantech repeater kit etc! :nono: I hate to mention it, but in stark contrast, the Denon remote control works the Denon kit if you point it at the ceiling or the wall behind you! :clap:

Come on John, I am not the only one with this problem/complaint, there are countless others in threads on the internet including this forum. Arcam is supposedly known for listening to it's customers, can we get the remotes sorted please? :lease:

Gerald. :confused:

True.
With the original AVR300 remote, I'd overstretch and twist my arm at awkward angles for it to read the signal. Now I've programmed my Pronto, no such problems. :)

Like wise DV27a remote with a DV27a doesn't work (well), same remote on an Arcam C30 works great. So it's not really just a remote problem, the problem is that the IR receiver and transmitter are to weak to work togther.

Yes, I think it might be a combination.

Shame to see JD has not replied. Perhaps he has not spotted the thread yet.

Anyway, this problem is enough to drive me away from the Arcam gear, despite the DV79 having a super picture. It really is a crying shame to see Arcam spoil the ship for something as silly as this. Quite frankly, somebody in the Quality or design dept wants shooting. This is typically where British manufacturers fall down. Brilliant product, marred by lack of attention to fine detail.

I know this may sound like a rant, but it is so annoying. Arcam had the chance to wipe the floor with the opposition. Look at the DV79, obviously a lot of fine work went into it, and then ............. Bugger, let down by the remote control!!!!

Gerald. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can't say much more than to agree with the problems listed here. However I do rate picture/sound quality above these 'minor' gripes and for me the DV-79 is the dog's swingers in this regard.

It'd be nice if the Arcam guy would be kind enough to give us a short explanation about the remotes though. As others have commented a grand is a lot of money for a DVD player and the remote with it is something you would more likely pair with a supermarket special. :thumbsdow

The layer change is noticebly longer than my old Pioneer DV747-A but the DVD manufacturers generally manage to slip them in at quiet moments so it's not a major issue for me when you look at the performance of the machine in other areas.

I'm getting a Harmony universal remote soon in any case so hopefully that will eliminate the other problem. But the question does remain, 'why spoil the ship for a h'apeth of tart' or something similar that my Gran used to say.... :confused:

not sure i should mention this or not but the remote is not IIRC an arcam design but a 3rd party unit programmed and labelled by them.... Linn IIRC use the same remote for there Classic Movie system......... Perhaps they should do a marantz? Rebadge a pronto and sell it with the kit?

Yes the remotes are dire... but I like most I would have thought do not use them..I've got it all in my MX500.. used to use a pronto etc..

I would have thought though by now they would have changed the supplier of there remotes as they have always been disliked by the buying public!

When I first got an AVR200 I tried using the supplied CR-80, but it had problems learning codes for the TV and DVD I had at the time. I've since gone to an AVR300 and DV88+, but use an MX-500 and MX-700 which work quite well with my Arcams. And I can use all the discrete codes for the AVR and DV that the CR-80 doesn't support.

I always just count on OEM remotes having limited usefulness anyway (Arcam or not), and figure if I'm spending the money for a nice setup (Arcam AVR/DV, Samsung DLP/STB, Dynaudio speakers) getting a decent universal/learning remote to handle it all is just a small part of the overall expense.

Personally, I'd rather Arcam, et al. not put much cost into a supplied remote, as I only need it initially to learn commands to my own remote.

This is weird- been ages since I've owned Arcam gear but I do remember that if I so much as breathed on my Alpha 7 remote it would operate the player. I seem to recall that the CD82 I briefly tried was similar- so is this predominantly an AV issue?

In the future, I would love to buy an AVR300; but unfortunately I won't if the remote response is as poor as my DV79. Mr Dawson, please pass these comments on to your engineering team, and let's get the issue corrected.

Hi All

I think the problem is with the latest remote transmitters. I have an Arcam CR9000 (the one that came with the Alpha 10 DAVE upgrade) and a DiVA remote control that came with the DT81 tuner. The CR9000 will control the equipment not matter which way it is pointing but the DiVA remote has to be pointed in the right direction.

Arcam are not the only people that suffer this. My Panasonic TV and VCR remotes are very directional but when I control the TV and VCR with the CR9000 the directional behaviour disappears.

Just my experience

Dave Steele

I live in NYC and recently purchased the AV8 pre/pro and 7 power amp. I have been told to turn the equipment rack at an angle from the wall so the remote will work. In our small apartment, this is very difficult to do. Is there some other remote sold which would work or is there something I can do with this remote to make it work? Thanks for any help.

Jesse

Jesse350 said:
I live in NYC and recently purchased the AV8 pre/pro and 7 power amp. I have been told to turn the equipment rack at an angle from the wall so the remote will work. In our small apartment, this is very difficult to do. Is there some other remote sold which would work or is there something I can do with this remote to make it work? Thanks for any help.

Jesse

Yes, a Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-700 will work great, at least it does with my ACR300/DV88+ so I assume it will with the AV8 as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom