Arcam rDac KW... Or not?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by chipbyrd, Jan 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. chipbyrd

chipbyrd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have to tell you I come to this page as a complete novice. I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's and a pair of BMW 601's. I also have a good sub-woofer. *About four years ago I bought and an Onkyo home theater receiver. I also own a Pioneer SX 1250 (which I imagine still works well).

My wife and I never watch TV and we got rid of it. *I want to move my speakers upstairs and use them just for music. *I have thought about bringing up the Onkyo and connecting an Arcam rDac KW. *This will cost about $650. *We like the Arcam because it will allow us to wirelessly access our digital music. *We want to control music from our iPads.

But here's my question: For about the same cost as the Arcam, could I get significantly improved sound by buying a new receiver that has AirPlay? *Also, I have heard that two channel produces better audio quality than the home theater receivers. *Which would be better for the speakers I own? *So... Arcam / receiver? And... 2 channel / AV receiver (if wireless dac is not a good option)?

If you read all this, thanks. *You are a trooper. *If you have any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.

2. therixonator

therixonator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Welcome to the forum. If you have seriously given up tv/movies then I'd recommend selling the onkyo and concentrating on 2 channels.

I just did a 2 min google search on your pioneer receiver and a couple of restorers think its the nuts. It's a bit of a lump and looks very seventies, but apparently it cost $950 brand new in 1977 and is really highly regarded as a beautifully sounding amp. I know nothing of vintage amps and restoration but I'd seriously think about getting it working (if it doesn't already) as you've probably got a gem there. I'm sure if u ask around in the amplifier section, someone will be an authority in there.

As for the Arcam rdac, will you use the rwand to wirelessly link your computer's music to your hifi? It's a good option and you'll get a good result if you set up the computer to get a bit perfect feed out. If you want something that is a bit more user friendly for building queues and not having to keep your computer on, consider a dedicated streamer and a network storage device. You can still use a dac like the rdac, it will improve all the streamers certainly under the $500 mark.