• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Arcam Processor with Dirac?

Ashmanuk

Hi peoples, any time line when this would be available?

nabob

Are referring to the AVR 550 and 850 which both have Dirac. If so they are already available I picked mine up a few days ago.

sounddog

I believe it has been reported that Arcam have stated there won't be a processor version ... though thats just hearsay on my part. If they followed the same route as with the previous generation the only difference between the AVR and the processor was the removal of the amplification and a better 2 channel DAC in the processor. Some people noted that the AVR450 with a D33 (for example) was as good an option as the AVR950 (with external amplification).

Ashmanuk

Interesting sounddog, I run XLR's so was hoping not to use XLF to RCA adapter plus paying a premium for the amp section knowing I'll never use that side of it.

Have you used Dirac? I use Audyssey pro and I've been reading there's not much in it.

sounddog

Interesting sounddog, I run XLR's so was hoping not to use XLF to RCA adapter plus paying a premium for the amp section knowing I'll never use that side of it.
I quite understand that thinking ... though on the other hand with the AVR450 vs AV950 you paid a lot for them to remove the amplification (AVR450 was £2,200 list vs AV950 at £6,000)

Have you used Dirac? I use Audyssey pro and I've been reading there's not much in it.
I've not yet got any of the new Arcams with Dirac. I'm surprised you say "there's not much in it" (comparing Audyssey Pro to Dirac) - my impression from reading was its a vast improvement in SQ. It is of course difficult to compare as there are no amplifiers with both Audyssey and Dirac; but several people posted of improvements using the MiniDSP DDRC-88A Dirac unit vs Audyssey. But of course YMMV.

maj74

They are 'available', but only a few units coming in to dealers in Jan, which are all pre-ordered I believe. Any orders placed now are against a shipment due in March I believe, and that was the situation a good 10 days ago....

sounddog

They are 'available', but only a few units coming in to dealers in Jan, which are all pre-ordered I believe. Any orders placed now are against a shipment due in March I believe, and that was the situation a good 10 days ago....
I'm not sure if you are saying there are only a few AVR850 / AVR550 available, or are you saying there IS a processor version and there are only a few of those available?

maj74

I'm not sure if you are saying there are only a few AVR850 / AVR550 available, or are you saying there IS a processor version and there are only a few of those available?

No implication of processor version on the way at all.

I was making reference to 550's and 850's.

sounddog

No implication of processor version on the way at all.

I was making reference to 550's and 850's.
Thanks for clarifying...

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom