arcam power loss eiyh sky hd

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nurseynursey, Aug 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. nurseynursey

nurseynursey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit concerned about the amount of power I am having to use on my arcam 200 (I know its a bit old)when I switch to HDMI 5:1 surround All other imputs operate quite nicely around 40/50 but with Sky I have to pump up the output to 60/70 for same result. I am using good quality opticals with Mission surrounds and everything is great with SACD, DVD and other sources.
    Has anybody resolved the same problem with wiring or connections.HD box output is set at around 90%.

Appreciate comments

2. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Welcome to the forums.
    You have 2 problems here.
    1. Using the HDMI connection to listen to audio means that you are only going to get pro-logic sound at best as Sky have not enabled DD 5.1 sound through the HDMI connection. You will need to purchase an optical didgital cable to connect the Sky box to your amp to get DD 5.1 sound when it is available.
    2. The audio level when watching any programme that has a DD 5.1 soundtrack has always been at a lower level for some reason. The volume setting in the Sky audio set up does not affect this. It only seems to affect the level of the background music when you are using the EPG.
    HTH.

3. nurseynursey

nurseynursey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you ultra 2 man but I did say I was using good quality optical connections in the first place. I am well aware of all the other points you make .I guess its more Sky reduced output levels and lack of optimisation of the potential of the system. I will have to accept the output levels as I suspect others have the same problem Arcam users arent used to problems.

4. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Just re read your original post and from the quote below it sounded like you were using HDMI for audio from the Sky box.

But I may have misinterpreted your post in which case just ignore what I said about the HDMI.
    The audio has always needed to be turned up when listening to DD 5.1 so you are not alone here. Unfortunately you have just become a Sky user' so you are going to have to get used to problems.:)

5. nurseynursey

nurseynursey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must appologise Ultra2man on review my hdmi remark is misleading.
    As to being new to sky I dont think so, I had to make the choice of square aerial(bsb) or eliptical (sky) 1988 been with them ever since .Hd box is new
    but problem is more pronounced than with + which is whats confusing me I thought the inards were the same.AS for getting used to Sky Well ive had some battles over the last 18 years ,won a few but here endith the The customer is always right policy.
    Thanks again, like the kit