1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam P38??

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Baltika_no_9, Aug 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The handbook for the C31/P35/P1 available from the Arcam website http://www.arcam.co.uk/prod_fmj_C31_intro.cfm has pictures of how to connect the pre-amp to a power amp. Although the text clearly says P35 as the power amp, the diagrams mark the power amp as a P38. Is this an announcement? Should I hold off buying my P35? :)

Cheers

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    I would highly suspect this is a typo in the manual. I have been given no indication of a new stereo power amplifier on its way, and as a dealer I usually get informed well ahead of time.

3. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Since the text repeatedly refers to the P35 I agree with crustyloafer. Should be a typo

4. james_dmi

james_dmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bummer, A high power Arcam gain matched stereo power amp is just what I’ve been waiting for... I have a CD33 + C30 + 2 * P35 but I’m thinking of getting bigger speakers so I was planning hopping to get a higher power Arcam amp to drive the base first then follow that up wit a second one when funds will allow. Alternative plan is to get a Bryston 4B-SST. It won’t match the rest but I know it will have the power I need. Well if something is announced in the next month or so I will still be interested otherwise need to jump ship.

5. andym

andym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What speakers did you have in mind?

I ask because I auditioned your very combination against a CD33/C30/2xP1 and the P1s were better by a country mile which surprised me greatly. (The speakers used on that occasion were Linn Akurate 242s which are 87 Db/W sensitivity and reputedly a difficult load.)

I've since had an extended listening session using CD33/C30/2xP1s with the new(ish) B&W 802D and even (gulp) the 800D and the P1s handled them both superbly. I think you'd have to go quite a long way up in price to find something obviously better. For example, the Meridian 559 was no better in my view and it's on a par spec-wise with the Bryston.

(The 800D is simply the best speaker I've ever heard: think QUAD electrostatic with bass but I digress...).

Andy

6. james_dmi

james_dmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My main target is the 802D's. I’ve not had a serious listen to these yet but I did demo the 803D's extensively with my setup and they were defiantly running out of breath trying to control the base. I actually bought my current setup in preparation for a pair of B&W 703's. In that context I also listened to the 703's driven by the P1's but I felt that although the base was a little more sure with the P1's there was more detail and sense of involvement with the P35 Bi-Amp. They gave a much better sense of instrument separation and reality in my opinion. I got the amps first and then borrowed the 703's just to check room compatibility. Only to discover that they were too weedy to drive my room (6.5m * 5.5m * 5m). Only then did I try the new 800 series and I was blown away. I’m now gong to be investing a lot more in my hi-fi but I want it to last this time! In hindsight I may well have been better of with the P1’s and that is one expensive lesson I have now learned: Don’t buy any part of an amp speaker combo until I have tried the whole setup at home! I still have the option of getting a pair of P1's and bi-amping those with one of my p35's (and selling the other) I will be trying this combo, the P1s on their own, as well as the Bryston + anything else the dealer can put up against them. Of course if a P38 or P45 or whatever turns up then that will get a go too.

James