1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam P-25 x 3 - the hot member

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brad_Porter, Apr 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Arcam P-25 (2 Chan) and a P-25 (3-chan) and notice that the 3-Chan can run considerably hotter then the 2 channel. They are well ventilated (separate shelves for each with ample breathing space) but the 3 channel is very hot. I don't like leaving it on for more then 24hrs for fear of how hot the thing might get!! I wouldnt say it was burning too the touch but it is very hot and remains a constant hot.

I have never noticed any performance issues or problems with the amp, nor have the cooling fans ever been instigated (not that I would know). But could some please advise on whether the 3 channel amp should get considerable hotter and why? Worried that there is something wrong with the amp.

If its meant to run hot, how do I keep this baby cool? Should I leave it on or turn it off?

Regards,
    Brad

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi Brad

Is the 3CH amp running the front speakers? Could be that it´s working out much more than the 2CH amp running the surrounds. Films etc are primarily centre channel heavy, followed by the front left & right with surrounds used the least. Obviously the sub is working out as well!

Lots of amps do run hot, just give them plenty of ventilation and they should be ok.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    If you leave the 3ch on ... does it reach an operating temperature then stay at that ... or does it keep rising?

The former is okay ... the latter needs investigating.

Vikki

4. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent really left it on for long periods without use. Going to leave it idle tonight (no sound input) and see how hot it is by the morning.

That should give me some idea.

Also, going to give it some more 'air space' as well.

Be back soon guys ....

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Oh ... and the 3 channel gets hotter than the 2 ch cause there's 50% more electronics in the same space.

Make sure they have at least an inch on each side ... nearer 2 inches about is best.

Vikki

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As a Class A/B amp,the Arcam should draw relatively little current when idling and shouldn't get more than warm when idling,but will draw significantly more current when actually under load,and will run hotter.
    I'm not sure if Arcam uprate the power supply to cope with the third channel when fitted,or rely on the reserves of the original supply.....either way,heat dissipation will be higher with 3 channels running.
    Vikki's comment about temperature rise to a constant level being ok is absolutely correct,and some amps,(like mine!)do run extremely hot.

Perhaps a call to Arcam's technical support may help.

7. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

Heres the findings. Evaluation please.

I left the 3-chan amp on for 24 hours and then felt how hot it was. It was warm and what I would consider a 'nice' temperature. The 2-chan amp was cool.

When under use, the three channel amp would heat up more considerable then the two channel amp. However, it would cool down again; but only to the warm stage. The 2 chanel would return to cool.

In short, when in use, even at its hottestm you can touch the shell of the amp. You would class it as hot but not burning. It will cool when idling bit only down to a warm status. Whereas the 2 channel would go to a cool status. No fans started or kicked off during the 48 hour period.

Arcam have said that the three channel will runner hotter then the 2 channel, and by over a third more heat will be generated.

I am reluctant to send it back to Arcams bench as, disappointingly, they have quoted that a bias fix (if it is this) on the machine would take a minimum of 1 month.

So there we have it. Is it me, or the amp?

Regards,
    Brad

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'd just live with it. If it is running hotter than it should, it will fail anyway (sorry). Then you won't see it for a month while it is repaired at Arcam. No point sending it off & being without the amp "just to check" - wait until it breaks (if ever).

I can't imagine sound quality is affected by it being hotter either??

9. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My P85 3-channel is left on permanantley, and it's stays at a reasonably warm temperatue, it does heat up slightly in use. Interestingly my Rotel processor is always failry hot, which is strange cause i'd expect power amps to run hotter.

Anyway if your really bothered I can place a thermometer on the top and give you an accurate reading.

10. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slingshot,

We could do that, but it really should be the same unit as the P-85 may have completely different insides. Thanks anyway.

No matter how hot the beast has got (when using it all day for movies at high levels) the fans have never came on. But when it is used all day like that, the 3-chan will get very hot. Will cool in the end but does get very hot with use....

11. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    My old P25/3 did run fairly warm but it was driving the rears and centre ... my A22 drove the fronts so it might be worth swapping the outputs to balance the loading ... once the third channel gets shoehorned into the space it will generate a lot more heat when running so that is *normal* ...

Mind you my P7 runs quite warm but the fans have never cut in yet ... surprising how much cooling the convection vents on the front actually give inside !!

12. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JonT,

My P25/3 also drives the centre and the two rears while the P25/2 looks after the fronts. Do you feel there is a better 'load-balancing' way to drive these speakers? We have also got to take into account that my M&K S-85's and K4's are 4Ohm speakers so its going to demand a lot more out of the amp when running.

BTW, JonT, I know the AV8 is a much bigger and better upgrade, but do the P25 have any similarities (in sound) or has the AV8 just wiped the floor with previous Arcam amps.....?

13. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    My P25.3 got hot-ish when being driven hard with movies, but certainly nothing to worry about.