1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam no help re 7.1 module

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Bvan, Sep 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bvan

Bvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm hoping someone out there might have the expertise to help.

I wrote Arcam a few weeks ago with the following question:

"Hi. I'm deciding between buying an A85 or fMJ32, both with 7.1 board fitted. This 7.1 board appears to be the same for either model. My question this: will installing the board bring 'down' the performance of the FMJ's front two channels, making it effectively a A85(or A90?) pre-amp with FMJ power amp? and will the using the multichannel inputs to play CD's from my universal player be ANY worse at all than using the CD line-in (that is not on the 7.1 board)?
    My other question is this: if I buy the neccessary extra power amp for multi-channel performance and this power amp happens to be of better quality than the A85's built in amp, is it possible, and how best, to use this external amp to power the front speakers and use the A-85's amp to power the rears? Thanks"

I got a promt reply suggesting I buy a dedicated cd player rather than use a universal, and that I go with the FMJ over the A85. Their man Michael Gaul also totd me how to find a dealer in South Africa.

While I appreciate and value Arcams opinions, they didnt address the only two things I need to know. I wrote them pointing this out but havent heard back.

thanks for any help

B

2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Two words of warning.

1. After a demo i preferred (and so did the dealer, who returned the amp to arcam to see if it was broken, which it wasn't) the A90 to the A32, which really made my day, as i own a a32. Not sure if this is the case with the A85, but it is something to consider.
    2. If you are going to mix FMJ and Diva, remember there is a colour difference.

It is possible to use the external amp, although it is not exactly perfect. Just hook the front 2 inputs from the DVD player into the wrong pre-ins, and plug the rears from the dvd player into the front two inputs of the amp.

Although this works, it would not work with a seperate CD player, unless you don't mind switching wires each time you switch between the cd player and dvd. I hope that makes sense.

3. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stevos suggestion regarding using the A85 to power the rears and an external power amp for front channels could work with a separate CD player without changing wires - provided you plugged the CD player into the 2nd set of multichannel inputs on the 7.1 board. Of course this configuration limits you to just 2 sources without unplugging things. Or you could just keep things simple and stick with the A85 for front channels and go with P85/90's for the rest so you have identical amplification for all channels - it will sound an awful lot better than a 'one-box' AV receiver....
    I think the P7 is based on the P85 power amp, I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong.

As regards deterioration in sound quality routing CD via the 7.1 board instead of into the native inputs of the A85 amp - I've just tried this with mine and can't hear an obvious difference.

4. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    On the A90 there is a switch on the back which allows you to split the Pre-amp from the power amp. Does the A85 have this?

If it does then you can get Front Left and Right from the pre-out sockets. You can then connect Rear left/right to the pre-in sockets.

I too can not hear any difference between the normal 2 channel input and the 7.1. I have my DV27A wired to both.

HTH

5. Bvan

Bvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much all of you, that answers all my questions.

b.