Arcam Movie Solo 5.1 or alternative??

Empgamer

Established Member
Reaction score
I am keen to upgrade our home cinema from an ancient Sony DAV-S500. One consideration is that we have a TV cabinet which has not got too much room for a 'tech stack' given that there is already a Sky HD, PS 3 and existing DAV S500 in there. That makes me lean towards a quality one box solution.

Question is, is the Arcam Movie Solo it? Most I have turned up with search is people selling them!! So, is it the best out there at the moment, any suggestions re a GOOD place to get one from and, more importantly, am I paying 3 times as much as I need to get all the tech forced into one box, if so, the cabinet may have to go!!!! Equally, are there any other quality one box solutions we could consider.

Finally, if we did go the Arcam route, what would be a good set of speakers/sub to go with it. My wife would not be much into the large champagne flute style, or probably even bookshelf ones (unless quite sleek looking) so they may have to be smaller in size BUT not compromise on sound. The room is about 22' x 18'.

Any help much apreciated.

Oddly they seem to be vary scarce on the ground and it's a struggle to find anywhere that sells the Movie Solo. When you check the dealer sites listed on the Arcam site they all seem to sell little, if anything, of Arcam's prouducts??

Are they still in business? Bit worrying that for all the 5 star reviews you can't find one. I notice also that one dealer i did find (Superfi) advertises them for £1099 v £1999 RRP?? Something up me thinks. Pity none of their stores are near me.

I wouldn't buy the Arcam setup without a demo and comparison against other setups with more up-to-date technology. The Arcam is a little old-in-the-tooth when you consider it has a DVD player and no HD audio etc. I would definitely audition the Arcam Movie but also check a full sized AV Receiver setup. After all, you can use the PS3 as a bluray/DVD player and also get HD audio with the right audio equipment. If your PS3 is the old model, you need to look for a setup that can accept LPCM over HDMI. If it's the new PS3, a receiver with HD audio decoding would be ideal. As HD audio decoding has filtered down to lower end kit, it's now standard and any system with HD audio decoding can also accept LPCM.

Arcam have always been renowned for excellent sound quality, build quality and great customer service. I would bet that the Arcam Movie without HD audio decoding would sound better than a budget receiver with it. However, if you're buying a system now, you might as well make it relatively future proof, which is why I wouldn't really look at the Arcam Movie. Perhaps Arcam are planning on a new version with HD audio decoding and a built-in bluray player but as they have yet to release a stand alone bluray player, I wouldn't hold your breath.... Check the Arcam owner's forum for more information and also opinions on the Movie Solo.

If you did go for the Arcam, the obvious choice in speakers would be the Arcam Musos. Others to have a listen to would be the Monitor Audio Apex, Vector and Radius HD, Kef 2005/3005 and B&W MT packages. I would also add the Focal Domes to the list as they look superb and I'm also a big fan of Focal speakers (see sig :D ). All are often partnered with Arcam gear.

I would definitely look at a full sized setup as you should choose your cabinet based on the equipment you have and not the other way around. Therefore if you can bring yourself to ditch the old cabinet and get a new one to house a full sized setup, I would definitely recommend it.

Marantz make a couple of compact AV Receivers with the latest HD audio decoding on board which would obviously future proof your purchase to a degree.

Marantz NR1501 at Richer Sounds

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1018096-marantz-nr1501-coming-july.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1276568-marantz-nr1501-1601-a.html

BTW Arcam are definitely still in business :)

That's brill. Thanks very much indeed!!! 99% the Marantz 1601 it will be. I have a PS3 but will likely get a decent DVD to go with it and doubtless either Wharfedale Diamond of KEF speakers or one of the other sets you mention when I get chance to look later, probably all for the price of the Arcam!!!

Hmmmm. More difficult than I thought. All AV receivers seem to be about the 435mm wide mark and we have only one slot that wide (currently occupied by the Sky HD). I definitely DON'T want to get one of those glass/metal stands as it would look totally out of place in our living room (dark oak furniture). And I also detest them.

The Marantz is slimmer but only in height so initial excitement has waned a little :( So options seem to be, Arcam Solo 5.1, wait for a new Arcam or buy a new TV cabinet.

For the hassle I'll likely say b******s to it all and just run what we have until it dies. Only other way might be to get some sylish plinth to put the TV on so the Sky HD can go under TV on the cabinet.

Wish I never started looking really. What a pain in the a**e!!! :mad:

That's a shame. Where did you plan on siting the centre speaker? I appreciate what I'm about to suggest might seem like a lot of work and hassle but it's something that you would only do once. Have you considered wall mounting the TV or to take it one stage furhter, installing a floating wall?

Without knowing the layout of your current unit, I can't really suggest any modifications but is there no way you could adjust the height of shelving?

Thanks for thought. Mounting TV not really an option but I might have an idea.

I could get an acrylic stand to either stand the TV on with the Sky box underneath (it's not too gross to be on display) OR if I can get away with it, put the AV receiver where the Sky is now, put the acrylic stand over that and stand the Sky box on that. Favoured option I think??

On the basis that one should work I'm looking at this Marantz 1601 deal:
Marantz NR1601 7.1 receiver + Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 speakers + £100 cable bundle

The Alumni speakers seem to have had good reviews and may give a better sound than the M Cubes at £20 more. Seems a VERY good saving with £100 worth of cable etc too!!!

Just need to find a good DVD player to match to it. I could use the PS3 but would prefer a separate. That said I really would rather get a unit that is 38 cm or less wide. Can't really see a need for a DVD player to be 430 wide apart from standardisation.

Last edited:
Jeeez. Now I'm fidning even more problems. Seems the dealers that I have found that have the Marantz 1601 can't ship it. In store collection only. ]

Mod Comment: Please let the swearfilter do it's job I can't be asked. Maybe the recession will tempt a change of policy or drive them out of business. Either way I'll stick with what I have for now!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom