Arcam Movie Solo 5.1 Connections

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by digitrac, Jan 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. digitrac

digitrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

This is my first post on AV Forums so apologies up front if it goes wrong!!

I have or am getting the following kit this week and I am currently deciding the best way of connecting the components:

Arcam Movie Solo 5.1
    Quad L-ite Speaker Package
    Sony KDL-40W3000
    Sky HD
    Arcam R-Dock
    Nintendo WII

I have come up with the following idea to achieve (hopefully):

1) This best sound and video quality from each component
    2) No need to swap cables or purchase switching devices
    3) Allow a future upgrade to include a Blue Ray/HD component (I appreciate I will not get HD sound with the Solo as an amplifier)

The diagram below shows my proposal. I appreciate I have used the SAT and AUX inputs more than once but I am hoping to exploit the Solo input priorities by switching off components not in use and avoid cable swapping.

Due to my Sky HD reception being no good in adverse weather I have fed the Sony Terrestial Digital TV output into the Solo as a back up when watching TV.

Home Cinema Plan.jpg

Looking forward to receiving comments and/or better solutions.

Many thanks,

Dave

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I would put the component video from the Wii into the Solo, and have component out of the Solo into the TV.

Same for the Blu-Ray player, have HDMI into the second available HDMI on the Solo, and a single HDMI from Solo to TV.

r-Dock has to stay the same as Solo Movie does not have s-video inputs or outputs.

So the TV has three inputs used, HDMI and component are both switched by the solo. S-Video direct from the r-dock (you will also see your playlists on the Solo display with this).

As a side note, can I just say that the r-dock is by far the best iPod dock I have ever used! I've had one a while and only really got using it when I got my iPhone last year. I've installed plenty of Onkyo docks, the standard base station that comes with iPods, and a load of no-name brands, and absolutely none of them come anywhere near the r-dock for quality!!