1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Look Rubbish In Black!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by bluesfan, Oct 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did Arcam put silver buttons and knobs on the black versions of its products. They really look awful and very old fashioned and clearly should also have been black like the fascia. It was obviously done to save production costs rather than asthetics - cheapskates. Yuk! It's not the first time they've made cosmetic mistakes, their remote is also crap.

The other thing I've noticed is that the silver version appears to pick up finger dirt easily on the fascia and around the volume knob. It doesn't seem to clean easily.

Having said that I love their sound.

Come on Arcam have some commonsense and do the job properly.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    To be fair to Arcam, most AV gear I've had picks up marks quite easliy on the front panel - I've never had to touch the front panel on my DV79 or AV300 yet (other than to press the power button in for the first time), I always use the remote.

I do know of some guys who will wear cotton gloves if they ever have to touch the front of their AV gear.

BTW, I think the Arcam gear looks great in silver and, in terms of overall asthetics, I reckin it's some of the best looking gear around.

John

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Moan, moan, moan, that's all you guys seem to do. How about just sitting and enjoying the equipment for a change.

If you don't like the black finish then don't buy it. I happen to think it looks pretty good in black.

I haven't had any problems with the remote so far, work without any problems.

A simple isoproyl alcohol solution and a lint free clith should remove any grubgy marks from the fasci. Maybe you should try cleaning your hands a bit more often.

As johndon has pointed you you really shouldn't need to use the front panel at all, all major functions can be accessed from the remote.

4. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your rude reply. I won't be buying from Sevenoaks!

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So is this a general rant or do you own a black or silver unit ?

I own a black DVD79 and AVR300, and without looking at the actual units [ I am at work] I couldn't even tell you what colour buttons mines are, maybe I regard performance a good deal more important than silly little details like colour :)

If anyone is being rude it is yourself, having personally met Chris you won't find a more pleasant type of person to deal with and quite frankly I would be amazed if him or any of his colleagues would lose any sleep losing your custom, maybe you should try Bang and Olufsen.

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a black AVR300 and I really like its looks. The silver buttons and volume control look nice. I think the design looks modern, tasteful, and elegant. It's a great compliment to my Cherry Dyns and black/silver Samsung DLP.

In fact, I started with a silver one and exchanged it for black.

I have a DV88+ in silver that I bought as an ex-dem. I really wish it was black too (w/silver buttons).

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get the FMJ models the buttons are black (well they are a slightly differet colour but not silver). I was actually expecting silver buttons when I bought my DV27 and was disappointed they weren't silver. I like them now though. As for cleaning just use a microfibre cloth and don't leave it too long between cleans, mine is always spotless, I give it a clean once a week and it looks great in my opinion! Sounds great too! :clap:

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Had black dv88+ which I changed to silver to match my dab tuner.. and then sold the tuner so now I have a black tag and a silver arcam ! So what I need is interchangable facias ;)

9. A.C.E

A.C.E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i actually like the silver on black. a bit *retro*.

its nice to see that hi-fi company's are still producing kit in black. its also nice to have a choice.
    :):)

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Personally I don't care which colour the gear is, as long as it works as well as all Arcam gear seems to!
    I used to own a CD73t that was black and now own a DV29 that is silver. I went for silver as all my other AV gear is also silver and black would/did stand out a bit. But if I had the offer of a good priced s/h bit of Arcam that was black then I would not think twice about grabbing it if I wanted it.

Its all personal taste. Not everybody is going to like every option. Dare I say it, not everybody even likes Arcam regardless of the colour, but of course they are wrong :devil:

Mark.

11. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Bought mine cause it was black ... I was really pleased when they made it non-export only !! ... and I love the metallic dark grey FMJ buttons :)

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I like my AVR300 in black, especially with the ditto CD82t sitting on top.
    Everybody visiting looks at the combo...and I prefer it over the bulky looking dumpster style Japanese beasts that seem so abundant now...
    And anybody not liking the silver knob (I like it) can easily spray it matte black...

Barend

13. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Shocking thread and a bit of a waste of time to be honest. Anyone who doesnt like em in black either buy the silver or spray paint it to any colour you like.