Question Arcam IRDAC standby mode

handyroberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have bought an IRDAC and was a little surprised to see the remote doesn't actually turn the Irdac off. So I wondered if the IRDAC goes into standby mode when no source is detected?
I can see it changes colour to green when a source is active but I am not sure whether red indicates standby or just that it's on and doesn't have any input.

Thanks in advance

Andy

IIRC this doesn't have a standby mode; it's either on or switched off at the rear.

My older rDAC goes into standby after a period of time with no source detected.

I'd assume the later model behaves the same.

The light goes from green to red once in auto standby. Off is the rocker switch on the rear.

Definitely worth testing. The irDac manual doesn't give any indication of a standby mode / standby power figures, so I was never 100% certain.

Interesting question, so I tested mine with a power meter at the mains socket.

USB
3.8W when first switched on (red light on my usb PC source).
4.2W constant when streaming music on the usb.
3.8W again when navigating away from the playing web page, or closing the browser (light goes red).

Opt 1 & 2 and Coax 1 & 2 all run at 4.2W when in use and drop to 3.8W with the red light coming on within 30 seconds of the external device itself going into standby.

So red light means standby, but the 0.4W saved is hardly worth bothering about really.

Hi D'@v,
Thank you very much for taking the time out to test this, it's really useful to know. Much appreciated.

To be honest I was surprised at these findings, because I thought European regulations had for several years required all electronic devices like this to have a deep standby mode of less than one watt. Maybe the IrDAC design predated this or I may have misunderstood, so it will be interesting to see what the new IrDAC II does, when the full specs and manual are available.

Hi D'@ve or anyone else who may be able to help:

I don't suppose you know if my irDAc could be powered by my Nad 356Bee amp?

My use case is having the Nad turn on the irDAC and keep it powered on until until I put the Nad back into standby mode.
This way I don't need to connect the irDAC directly to a power supply?

My NAd's manual says it gives a constant 12vs and can drive a load up to 150mA when on.
irDAC manual says accepts 12v input dc 1.5A.
I think 1.5A and 150mA sound the same but I don't want to risk blowing anything.

Thanks

Andy

My NAd's manual says it gives a constant 12vs and can drive a load up to 150mA when on.
I think 1.5A and 150mA sound the same but I don't want to risk blowing anything.

Thanks

Andy

I'm no electronics expert, but 1.5A is 1500mA, so they are not the same. I don't think the irDAC will actually draw 1500mA on its own, but since it can also power an iPhone via the USB connection, that probably accounts for the difference. Arcam may be able to advise you what the irDAC actually consumes.

Hi D'@ve or anyone else who may be able to help:

I don't suppose you know if my irDAc could be powered by my Nad 356Bee amp?

My use case is having the Nad turn on the irDAC and keep it powered on until until I put the Nad back into standby mode.
This way I don't need to connect the irDAC directly to a power supply?

Thanks

Andy

No, it won't work. the 4.2W power draw that I measured (see above) was at 240 volts UK mains, which is 17.5mA, however... at 12V that same 4.2W draws 350 mA.

Also, my measurement is inevitably approximate as it's from a consumer meter, and there will also be situations where more than 4.2W is required. The provided mains power supply is rated at 1500 mA/12V

But when your Amp goes to standby or is off, the irDAC should also go to standby sooon afterwards... for what it's worth for the small saving.

Thanks again for your help D'@ve, I figured things are never as simple as they first sound. Glad I checked.

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom