Arcam integraded / power amp

lark68

Standard Member
Hi all, I have a question I hope someone will help me.

I have a sony 2400es AV with Acoustic Energy Aelite 5.1 (biamped fronts) all speakers with Van Dame blue and black for fronts. plus an pro-ject RPM 5 and other stuff connected to the AV.

I find that the Sony AV is not giving me a nice warm sound esp for music and its rather fatiguing. Maybe this AV does not have the guts to run the wonderful Aelite 3's.

My question is would it be better to add an Arcam DIVA P1000 or ARCAM-FMJ-P7-MULTICHANNEL-POWER-AMP to the system or go for a arcam stereo integrated and power amp...or would just an integrated amp be strong enough taking in to account that i use the pre outs from the Sony 2400es.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Sounds like the amp is too bright for your ears i.e. pushing treble to much.
Is ith the music performance you want to improve? If so then buying a stereo amp and connecting all your music sources to the amp should solve this. You can then use the preouts from the Sony to get sound from movies down to the amp and to the front speakers. This will however, not change the sound you get while watching movies/TV.
Just adding a power amp to the preout also not change the sound that will be produced (although I may stand corrected).
If you want to change the sound from all sources you will either need to change the speakers to warmer ones or change the amp.

lark68

Standard Member
Thank for your reply...how ever i am happy with the 5.1 sound with movies and tv...its just the stereo sound thats lacking warmth...these speakers are very good...but i have read that many people pair the aelite 3'swith arcam units.

So are you saying that even if i connect an stereo integrated arcam amp and and arcam power amp to the sony via the pre-outs the stereo sound will not get better?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What I was trying to say was that I do not think (although I may be wrong) connecting everything to the Sony and then using the preouts to power a stereo pair of speakers using a power amp will effect the sound. This is because you are still processing the sound through the Sony processor so will still have the Sony sound too it. However, if you use an integrated stereo amp and connect all your music sources to this (i.e. CD player, ipod etc.) then this will give you improved sound quality. You would then use the preouts to give a signal to the stereo amp when listening to movies/TV.
So the integrated stereo amp would be the way to go. I would recommend Arcam amps as being very good too.

lark68

Standard Member
Thank you for taking the time to explain things to me...im very greatful....and will do what you suggested.

lark68

Standard Member
I have purchased both the Arcam A85 and P85...I paid 700 pounds...yes maybe alittle too much but it was the only black set i could find..and in not too keen on the silver besides all my other hifi/AV stuff is black.

I will let you know how it all sounds when i picked them up from the uk and set them up in my house in Holland.

cheer guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom