1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Home Cinema Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spear54, Jul 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. spear54

spear54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current home cinema system conists of an Arcam 10 integrated Amp fed into a Yamaha DSP-E800 which powers the centre and rear channels, and which I also use as a processor. My main speakers are B&W CDM-SE floorstanders (and centre channel). My rears are those dinky little silver Kefs, whose model number currenly eludes me.

I was in Harrods (yes for the sales) and went to the Linn Demo room. The sales assistant somewhat sniffily said that I ought to get rid of the Yamaha and upgrade to the Arcam 10 with the Dave board and power amp combination, for vastly superior performance. I'm considering it. I'm also about to take delivery of a Toshiba SD900e DVD Players. I have the following 2 questions, which I should be grateful for some advice on:

1) If I stick with my Yamaha, should I use the processor in the Toshiba and use the Yamaha just as a power amp?
    2) Would I really notice a huge improvement in performance if I got the Arcam Dave board?

Many thanks

Spear 54

2. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a YAMAHA DSP-495 which I used just as a switching unit and for Pro Logic decoding and to take the 5.1 output from my Pioneer 636D DVD player (using its onboard DD / DTS processor) and the TV.. thru to my 3 LINN power amps (so I never used the power amp stage of the YAM)

Then I bought a used LEXICON DC-1 with THX, DTS... which means I no longer use the onboard DD / DTS processor in the Pioneer DVD but connect via optical and let the LEXICON do its 7.1 magic

The improvement was astounding (as it should be). Made me realise what a lousy job the onboard decoder was doing on the Pioneer