1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arcam fmjdv27 reassurance please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zamwessell, Mar 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I love this player but it is playing me up at the moment.

It will place random gaps on dance cds i have where 2 tracks are meant to be one continuous mix of music e.g where track 7 chapter in to track 8.I find it really annoying.I phoned Arcam and they said a firmware upgrade is imminent and should sort the problem.

I also have been getting audio dropouts with certain dvds.I thought it was my amp as evErytime i reset the microprocessors on my Denon,the problem is sorted.Now i see a guy having the same problems with his DV88.

Arcam,please reassure me these problems can be sorted out.Then i will buy the AV8/P7 combo....i promise.

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Hi,

I apologise now for not giving the answer you want to hear.

I owned a DV88 which did exactly what you describe here. I was promised firmware upgrades (of which I had 2) which did not improve the situation. After 3 months I gave up and sold it as the irritation of paying so much for something that was unreliable was not acceptable.

I now own a Pioneer 757 and a Cyrus CD7Q which kicks the DV88 (and the DV27 I had on loan) into touch and is 100% reliable.

Sorry :(

3. meslezak

meslezak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zamwessell,

I have owned my FMJ 27 since Oct '02. Currently, it is either at the distributor in Germany or at Arcam being assessed and/or repaired. It has been away for about a month. I have not experienced any audio issues as you are describing, my problem is a video issue. Aside from this issue, I really like the unit.

I have read and heard that Arcam has good customer service. I hope your help is better than what they have given me. My problem started in Dec '02. Two to three emails to Arcam's customer support went unanswered, two phone calls to customer support were never returned. The only time I received any assistance is when I called the US and spoke with a distributor there. The assistance was that I had to deal with a German distributor.

You may need to keep calling and calling and calling them. I'm very frustrated with my Arcam experience. I figure after spending $2600 on a unit, I'd like it to be reliable and work. I have purchased some nice audiophile and home theater equipment over the past 10 years. This is truly the first time that I have ever had any difficulties with a unit. Good luck and stay on them until the fix it.

As a side note, and people may jump on me for this, do you wash your CDs and DVDs? Over the years, I found that when I wash my new disks in a mild hand soap and warm water, it takes some of the residual chemicals and impurities from their manufacturing process off the disk. They sound a bit better and I do not have any difficulties with them. When I haven't, I get skips, etc. Only a thought.

Michael

4. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Arcam sent me 2 cdr upgrades and everything is working perfectly now.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    zamwessell ...

can you post your current version numbers for the software and drive firmware so that any other dv27 owners can see that they are up-to-date ...

cheers

jon

6. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    The two cd-roms are:

'Arcam DVD Software Upgrade V3/V5/V1.81/V3.0.0'

'Arcam DVD Firmware Update LT76'

When i activate my player it now reads 3.0.0/LT76/13/FF

Hope this helps.

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I upgraded my DV27+ last week to 3.0.0 and it solved the gap between tracks, and the whirring noise between tracks too.

From what I understand the Software Upgrade disc is:
    V3 players (i.e. DV88, DV88P, DV27) to v1.81
    V5 players (i.e. DV88+, DV27+, DV89, DV27A) to v3.0.0

Also LT76 mech is only for V5 players.

In addition, V3 and V5 are which Zoran Vaddis chipset is inside the player.

StooMonster

8. jeroen999

jeroen999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the record!
    Me too had a problem with a Arcam product AV 8.
    And just want to say that I was very pleased with the responce time AND the service.
    I had send a mail to Arcam and i had a reply whitin 1 hour.
    Next day I brought the arcam to the shop and in 2 weeks I had a brand new one at home. :clap:

so plaese do not hesitat to buy another arcam product.
    I think MR Dawson and his colleague's are doing there utmost best.:smashin: