1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam FMJ

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Reiner, Apr 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any news on the DVD player? Release date? Features?

Cheers,
    Reiner

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I think it's going to be about 6 weeks before it's in the shops. If i get the chance to see one before then I'll let you know my comments, if Arcam let me.

On another subject the Denon rep was in yesterday and I ordered a DVD2800 for dem. Expect it mid to early May. It's in the same case as a DVD5000 was and offers progressive scan etc. It's also region free and is £750. Look forward to seeing it.

Gordon

3. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi!

This new DVD player from Arcam might be just what I was hoping for, but, there's a few things that worries me:

1. Arcam seems to be having some problems with their DV88. Do you think that the FMJ will have all things sorted out?

2. As far as I know, the Arcam will have the DVDO de-interlacing chip which means that it has the potential to give state of the art progressive video and a shed o light over PAL progressive pictures. HOWEVER, the new player from Denon (DVD-2800), also incorporates this chip and had loads of problems since it was launched in the US back in January. Can there be any relation with these two aspects?

Thanks,

NS

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Nuno - the DV88 and DV27 use the same operating system; however most of the issues (one can never say "all" in the wonderful world of DVD!) are already sorted on the 88, so I don't expect major issues on the DV27.

The DVDO part works fine in all our trials so far.

IMO most of Denon's early problems on the 2800 will be related to the learning curve of building their own player (instead of supplying one based on someone else's platform), rather than the inclusion of the DVDO103. Been there, done that :)

HTH

John Dawson (Arcam)