• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Arcam FMJ player as a transport

adinica

Hello to everybody!

I bought a very good Rega DAC (which is now fully burn-in), to complete with my Arcam CD36 (used as a transport) and A32 amplifier. I also use a van den Hul The First Ultimate as a digital interlink, and Black Rhodium Phantom analogue interconnect but I feel the sound a bit bright and lacking in body.
Have everyone experienced the Arcam cd players as transport for various DACs? Please advice. Thank you, kind regards!

Ambo

Doesn't sound like the typical Arcam sound to me. Have you tried the analogue cables direct from the Arcam CD to the A32 to compare Arcam DAC vs. Rega DAC to see if that's causing the brightness?

adinica

Yes, i tried, but the digital coax output of the CD36 seems brighter/thinner sounding than the analogue outs.

Last edited:

Avi

Distinguished Member
Yes, i tried, but the digital coax output of the CD36 seems brighter/thinner sounding than the analogue outs.

That could be down to difference in the DAC design goal between products and/or the performance of the S/PDIF output/input.

Avi

colinmjohnson

I've used the CD36 digital output on DACs in an AVR300, an AV8, a Denon AVP-A1HD, and an old Audiolab 8000DAC, but would never have said any sounded bright or thin, just less focused and less bright. I have always prefered the analogue outputs from the CD36 with it's quad 8740 DAC arrangement over anything connected via digital. IMHO internal DACs in top quality CD players usually sound better than external DACs, although there are obviously going to be exceptions.

I see the Rega uses the newer 8742 DAC and imagine it's only a matter of time before Arcam use the same in their players. ( CD37 uses the 8741 ). This DAC claims to have 'advanced digital filtering' and the specs are extremely impressive. But unfortunatley newer may not always sound better.

I've always liked the CD36, it sounds great, almost clinical, and I keep it as my reference player.. but, every time I use it, it confirms just how much better my EMC1-up sounds. :D

adinica

Of course, Electrocompaniet is a more advanced player, and I can confirm your thoughts, the CD36 sounds better via its analogue outputs. Thanks for your reply!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom