Arcam FMJ P7 or Rotel 1575

moss99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi has anyone had a Rotel 1575 and an Arcam FMJ P7 just wondering how they compare ?

I have a P7, have had a 1075 which was awesome.

The P7 is VERY good though...

which do you think was better ?

I have a P7 and an NHT Power 5, which has the same configuration of 500ASP and 500A ICEPower modules. Its an interesting comparison, and I'll need to take some time to explain. Both are very well balanced and even-handed in their delivery and style. They are neutral, trasparent, powerful and pretty musical, and have more similarities than differences. I suppose you could in simple terms say that the Arcam is a bit better for music, and the Rotel better for AV, but it's not like they are at opposite extremes. Perhaps the biggest difference is physical - the Arcam is heavy and runs hot.

Nick

the Arcam is heavy and runs hot.

Nick

This is something which comes up every now and then i've noticed, my P7 runs cold but is one of the later batches. Definitely in agreement about the weight :D

I had an 805 in exactly the same space as the P7 and you could fry an egg on the Onkyo but the Arcam is surprisingly cool running.

This is something which comes up every now and then i've noticed, my P7 runs cold but is one of the later batches. Definitely in agreement about the weight :D

I had an 805 in exactly the same space as the P7 and you could fry an egg on the Onkyo but the Arcam is surprisingly cool running.

My P7 runs cool, sounds amazing with my onkyo..

I'm pleased you're happy with the P7 :thumbsup:. Give it my regards.

I will Colin.Worth every penny the P7, A keeper for me, how does the cinepro compare you think?

You decided what processor your getting?

...how does the cinepro compare you think?

Never ask questions like that right after a new purchase, lock yourself away from the forums and enjoy :nono::D

I don't think there is much comparison between the P7 and the Cinepro FWIW.... well you did ask ;)

Adam

The parasounds are nice looking as well......

You got me there, unfortunately the new owner picks them up tomorrow. So I am back to Onkyo power for a few weeks.:suicide:
Excuse the :offtopic:
Adam

I suppose that the $million question is what processor will you be pairing it up with...? Some pre-power combos can be a right mis-match...

I've got a Rotel 1075 that sounds great with movies and music and I can't see myself parting with it - though Angel Eyes said that about his Cinepro...:D

Last edited:
I will Colin.Worth every penny the P7, A keeper for me, how does the cinepro compare you think?

You decided what processor your getting?

Phil, the P7 was my favourite power amp until the cinepro came along, but it does wonders in my system and I can't work out why they are not more popular. It may be that my speakers need its monster current delivery (they are 66 Kg each with 7 drivers). For sure, they will not win any beauty contests though.

Still haven't decided on processors. One is better with blu-ray, the other with music. I may end up tossing a coin at this rate.

Still haven't decided on processors. One is better with blu-ray, the other with music. I may end up tossing a coin at this rate.
What would it be worth to have one that was better than the Proceed at music and better than the Arcam with movies?

Nick ;)

PS. Another vote for the P7, by the way. Not perfect, but better than most and VERY difficult to improve on for the price.

I agree with the comments on the P7. A lot of other AV multichannel amps sound crude and brash in comparison. The only real shortcoming of the P7 is a little softness in the bass, and a level of resolution and dynamics that is shown to be lacking in comparsion to something like Naim 135's.

BUT the P7 new was £3,500. The Naims 135's finished up around £2k each 8 years ago and today would be circa £3k (they were exactly the same price as a Naim 250 from 1984-2004).

So you are comparing £3k for one channel to £3k for 7n channels....

For the price they fetch secondhand they are an absolute bargain

I really liked to ability to bi-amp so easily with the P7; I can't understand why other high-end multi-channel amps don't have pre-outs to daisy-chain channels. Much better, and cheaper, than buying split phonos.

I absolutely adore my P7 now! It's the best upgrade i've made in quite some time. If only i could find the processor solution now.... :rolleyes:

Another trait (i believe is because it's Class A?), which i actually like, is the fact that the sound gets better and better the longer you listen to it. So you tend to find that at the end of a movie, when it's at it's climax, the amp has warmed up nicely and you're bombarded with the sound at it's very best. The problem is now that you end up watching more than one film, get no sleep and look like a corpse the next day ;)

I really liked to ability to bi-amp so easily with the P7; I can't understand why other high-end multi-channel amps don't have pre-outs to daisy-chain channels. Much better, and cheaper, than buying split phonos.

I found out the hard way that having leads made up that consist of one phono to two phonos (no additional connector) was a worthwhile upgrade to daisy chaining :cool:

I absolutely adore my P7 now! It's the best upgrade i've made in quite some time. If only i could find the processor solution now.... :rolleyes:

Another trait (i believe is because it's Class A?), )

I think you'll find that the output section is not a full Class A design....the driver stages may be,but not the output.

I've got a Rotel 1075 that sounds great with movies and music and I can't see myself parting with it - though Angel Eyes said that about his Cinepro...:D

Yes, my words came back to haunt me there. :rolleyes:

FWIW I am going back down a very similar route to the Cinepro (only much better) and should take delivery in a month or so, it would be nice if that coincided with a new Pre-Pro too, I can only hope :smashin:

Adam

Yes, my words came back to haunt me there. :rolleyes:

FWIW I am going back down a very similar route to the Cinepro (only much better) and should take delivery in a month or so, it would be nice if that coincided with a new Pre-Pro too, I can only hope :smashin:

Adam

adam

you are such a tease:devil:

adam

you are such a tease:devil:

I know, I know but the amp(s) are custom and the spec may change and the front panels haven't been finished yet so I can't even show a picture.

Bob at AB Amps is doing the build, should take 4-5 weeks until it/they arrive :)

Adam

I know, I know but the amp(s) are custom and the spec may change and the front panels haven't been finished yet so I can't even show a picture.

Bob at AB Amps is doing the build, should take 4-5 weeks until it/they arrive :)

Adam

wow, custom build amps, you jammy so & so!! any chance of a link to the website?

i hope you will post photos for us to drool over. i was really surprised that you sold the parasounds.

all the best.

dean

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom