1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam fmj dv27

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DJBlade, Nov 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I've recently treated myself to a pioneer 433mxe pdp, and want to make best use of it by adding a pro-scan (pal)dvd player,my current machine is the sony dvp735, but i also use the arcam cd92 for cd playback, ,my question is, will the fmj-dv27 play cd's to the same standard as the cd92 (i presume it will trounce the sony 735 on dvd video/sound)as i'm thinking of selling both to raise some cash towards the fmj-dv27, tia 4 any help

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got the DV27 and tried it against my (now 7 year old) Deltec (DPA) Renaissance CD player. It's difficult to say which, if any is better.... they're just different but both very good!

Bottom line is, although Arcam will tell you that it's a good CD player too, it won't match a dedicated CD player. My dealer played a Linn Genki with the same setup and it blew away the Arcam. Mind you, as a DVD player, it's hard to beat.

One thing to bear in mind if you are considering using it with a projector or plasma, it does suffer slightly with the Chroma bug. There is a new Arcam DV88 (£999) which uses the Zoran chipset which does not. So I'd recommend the DV88+ right now as it offers the same PAL and NTSC progressive output without the problems of the DV27.

Hope that helps

3. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Dawson said not that long ago that new DV27's would be using the new Zoran Vaddis 5 chip that the DV88+ has.

John.

4. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the DV88+ has the same quality of Prog scan as the DV27 either.

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They use the same board - Arcam DV27 and DV88P

The new DV88 uses the Zoran chipset which is different.... but I don't know if it's better or worse.

6. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that the DV88+ could be upgraded with the board from the Old Dv88 and DV27. I know it does prog scan out of the box too.
    I could well be wrong though - I'm not Arcam's biggest fan at the moment.

Richard

7. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    try to stick to the question lads............cd reply........as good as my cd92..?

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No.