1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam FMJ DV27 - my view

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dealmaker, May 14, 2001.

Tags:
  1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any idea of the street price yet????????

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

The Arcam FMJ DV27 I use is certainly the best DVD Player I have ever seen let alone owned (and I've had 6).

It produces a stunning highly detailed 480i image out of its Component output that is incredibly detailed, filmic and 3d looking. It is very sharp leading to increased fine detail in both foreground and background detail that were quite frankly missing from my previous Sony 725. The latter was believed to be one of the best Players but has now been superceded by the high end Toshibas.

The Machine also has a Progressive Scan output board featuring an extremely good output that when used with my Projector (BG808s) rendered an incredible picture with almost no noticeable scan lines at a viewing distance of 12 feet (image size was 8ft wide). You could barely see them.

I think its fair to say if you were running a screen 6ft wide or slightly less you would not need a scaler with this Player.

Performance with all DVD material was exceptional and it handled everything I threw at it. Interestingly it did a much better job at handling lousy DVD material also (Tai Chi Master R0, Butterfly & Sword R0).

I could not see the Chroma Upsampling Bug on the Progressive outputs. I used Toy Story and Fifth Element to check.

Using the Snell & Wilcox Test Plate on Video Essentials revealed a superb level of clarity and accuracy when using the Arcam Progressive Output.

However taking the 480i Component Out into The Rock gives the best picture, again being a beautiful highly detailed image that literally jumps out of (or in Leeloo's case jumps into) the screen.

Returning to the Snell & Wilcox Plate the 480i into the Rock handle the concentric circles of the Bouncing Circle better, looking more like Circles than breaking up. Thats not to say that the 480p of the Arcam wasn't good, it was (several leagues ahead of the 725) it just wasn't up to the Rock.

So my current viewpoint is that this is now my reference player and one I'll be sticking with. The Audio side is also superb and it also handles MP3 and CDR and VCD as well.

Finally there are some extra things that are pretty stunning and no I'm not allowed to tell you about them :D

Further details are here: http://www.arcam.co.uk/fmj/news/intro.html#DV27

Regards Neil.
    p.s. this was originally posted in the TAW Forum as feedback.

3. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jenz:

Like many, I've been looking for a top DVD player and I hope your experience can help me. I'm not that interested in NTSC progressive signals since 98% of my DVD's are PAL. Nevertheless, I'd be most interested in buying a device that now (or in a near future) would be able to output PAL progressive signals (I will soon own a projector that accepts both PAL and NTSC progressive signals). As far as I know, few options are available, but I heard that a version of the Denon's 2800 with PAL PS output is aready available (due to some hacking, I believe). Do you think the Arcam will also be able to have this 'upgrade'?

Another question: in terms on interlaced video and audio, which player do you believe as a best bet: the Arcam DV27 or the Toshiba SD900E?

Thank you so much,

NS