Arcam FMJ DV27 CD Playback = ?????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sk1234, Oct 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. sk1234

sk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am debating whether to get separte DVD and CD or an all in one. Hvae been looking at the Onkyo 939.
    Which Arcam CD player does the DV27 compare to?
    Does it compare to the CD23?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Dv27 is by no meas as goopd a CD player as the 23, as you might expect, it's closer to the performance of the 72 and 92.

It is however miles better than the Onkyo.

Oh, and the balck finish you can get know is much nicer than the silver.

3. sk1234

sk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick, TAG processor would be my choice but unfortunately in the price is not reduced in Hong Kong. Its GBP2260 or GBP2600 with THX.

Integra/ Onkyo here is a bargain - the 989 with the upgrade is only GBP1,100.

Is the CD20R really that good considering its 3 years old

4. garysteel

garysteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had the DV88 and Fmj27 and Onkyo 989 (Which I kept) and would not say the FMJ 27 is the best on CD Sound over that of the Onkyo like ReTRO.

I'd say they were on a par although the FMJ does have HDCD but out of a CD collection of 600 CD's and only one is HDCD...I didn't loose anything sticking with the Onkyo and in fact gained a played that consistently gave superior sound and picture without a singal Sound drop out. (Not to this this hasn't been sorted by now by the fine ppl at arcam but FOur MAchines took the biscuit.)

Try and demo first and choose yourself, i beleive its that close.

G.

5. sk1234

sk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only as good as a 92 or 72!!!! so its only around a GBP600 CD player?
    I can get the DV27 for GBP 1220 in HK, but I cant demo it...however do you think I would be better to get a TAG CD20R which I can pick up for GBP740 and then spend GBP500 on a DVD player.
    (using a integra/onkyo 989 to drive)

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276

Yes, that would be a better use of funds! Sounds funny doesn't it. Now if you wanted a real step in sound sync link the Tag to the AV32R processor and that would take it way beyond the Integra.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    A great low jitter transport in it's own right, however sync linked takes it to a different league. At the price you are talking about it is a bargin.

8. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic, sorry but the CD20R is a one box CD player the CDT20R is the transport. Unfortunately it cannot be sync-linked :( thats why I want the DVD32R :D

It's still an excellent CD player though!

Steve

9. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just checked the TAG website and, apparently, the latest version of the CDT20-R can be sync-linked with the AV32R:

"Based on our acclaimed CDT20R, our new T2L transport improves on an already excellent product. Using a very high performance transport mechanism, bespoke control software and a high degree of mechanical isolation, discs are read with amazing accuracy.

"'Jitter' is the name given to digital timing errors which result in the harsh and hollow sound often associated with lesser CD players. Now our TAGtronic Link connection gives the flexibility and performance of a external D-A converter along with one of the lowest jitter figures available. By adding the extra timing link, we have ensured that the transport and d-a converter are completely synchronised for the best possible digital timing. When combined with DPA32RDAB or AV32R, CDT20R-T2L gives an amazingly real, three-dimensional and lifelike performance."

So there you have it.

Matt.

10. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

You're right the CDT20R is a transport that can utilise sync-link via T2L, the point I was trying to make is that there is also a CD(No T for transport)20R model that does not have the upgrade path to enable sync-linking, it is also still available. There is a £400 ish difference in the two models.

The model being refered earlier in the post was the CD20R.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

11. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah - sorry to question your knowledge Steve - my mistake.

12. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's ok Matt, I just didn't want sk1234 to make a decision to buy the CD20R expecting a transport.

Steve