Arcam FMJ C31 preamp display question

zeiter

Standard Member
I just purchased an Arcam preamp, FMJ C31 and my volume control shows numbers or decibels on display. In my manual, and on Arcam's web, the volume is shown as a bar in display. Anyone has same preamp to see what's the issue ? Maybe 2 versions, or new/old ? Or whatever, tried to contact Arcam support, not the most helpful .

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
zeiter said:
I just purchased an Arcam preamp, FMJ C31 and my volume control shows numbers or decibels on display.
You can change the way the unit displays the volume level between 'Graphic' and 'Numeric' This is shown on page 8 of the manual.

zeiter said:
Anyone has same preamp to see what's the issue ?
The issue is that you haven't read the manual properly.

Please see attached image where it shows in the manual that this setting is adjustable. :rtfm:

zeiter

Standard Member
Crustyloafer said:
You can change the way the unit displays the volume level between 'Graphic' and 'Numeric' This is shown on page 8 of the manual.

The issue is that you haven't read the manual properly.

Please see attached image where it shows in the manual that this setting is adjustable. :rtfm:

Thanks for reply and explanation. Do you personnaly have the C31 ? I'm not able to access the graphic/numeric option. Moment I press access menu, it starts from Balance. That function is not available in my menu. I can access all the rest, except this function.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I have checked on our one in the shop and I also cannot find this option. It is possible that this feature has been dropped but the manual has not been ammended. I'm sorry I doubted your technical expertise, but the manual did suggest that was the case. I will ask Arcam about this tomorrow if I remember.

zeiter

Standard Member
Issue is not a matter of expertise. That's fine, if I knew, I would not be asking. And I could not care less if display is numerical or graphic. My concern is that I might have a pre-production unit or something like that different than instruction manual or even website. Now that you tell me unit in store is similar, I feel a little better. Hope you get a better answer from Arcam rep, because I finally got an answer telling me that the C31 is purist amp, and can't have that graphic feature, and why it's in the manual, even explaining how to operate it, never got answered.

Timmy C

Purist amp? So what was the C30? Sounds like a crap excuse to me! I have the option you mention on the C30 so I guess they just didn't bother upgrading the manual for the C31.

I've defended Arcam since '93 even after they upset me a lot when I had problems with my cd transport many years back but after a lot of bad reports on more recent kit I'm starting to think about trying something new.

Top Bottom