Arcam FMJ AVR600 vs Arcam FMJ AV9/P7

Look foward to hearing what you think about the AVR600 but in all honesty, it would be hard to compare it to the AV9/P7 as they're not demoing those as well. To compare 2 bits of kit in different setups will not give a conclusive answer.

I fully agree, this is my concern. But the event will help!

The people who are waiting to decide between the 2 (based on tongiht) will be doing it based on different speakers, source, room etc. A lot of money to spend without a proper/fair A to B comparison.

That's definitely true in my case. It would be crazy trying to make comparisons with different source, room, speakers but you can get an idea of what to expect.

-He who dares, wins!! :D

Then again we could be heading for a recession!

Last edited:
I wish I hadn't read this thread (well, my wallet does anyway). I sold my AV9 and P7 earlier in the year. I replaced them with a Yamaha Z11, butI had to sell that (for financial reasons) and was about to buy a Yamaha Z7. Reading through the thread made me realise that maybe I should consider the AVR600. As I can add a P7 at some point, and then replace the AVR600 with a Processor even later on. To top it all off, I found out a few days ago that Frank Harvey are offering 15% off to people who attend their Musical Evening tonight. So like a few others, I will be basing my decision on what I hear later.

Great news! I wish I hadn't demoed the AV9/P7 combo because it has led me to the AVR600. Starting ton feel the AV9/P7 is not right for me at this moment in time.

Its definitely an unplanned expense, AV9/P7 or AVR600, but with the current savings it maybe too good to miss out on!!

Tonight should be a great event no matter what the outcome will be!

For the benefit of this thread don't forget about the VAT incentive that is in place tonight also!!!

Suppose it's a catch 22 as the reduced price from Brighton Sevenoaks may not be about for too long.

Indeed! This is the problem but you cannot be held hostage by deals on older kit regardless of which is of higher quality and better performance. You have to compare to other potential solutions.

The decision process is based on so many different factors and always unique to the individual.

Anyone in the same position will feel the pressure but you never know what the tide will bring in!!

Yeah I currently have a DV139 as source and AVR350 powering Monitor Audio Gold Reference speakers (GR20, GR10 and GrLCR). Both solutions will give me a significant upgrade its just deciding which is right for me. I like the idea of the two box solution and possibly better musical performance on the AV9, so its that VS the latest technology.

15% off at launch is quite good, shame I cant be there to hear it.

Oh and when I spoke to Sevenoaks they said they had about 7 or 8 left in stock with the posibility of a few more comming in, does anyone know if the production has stopped?

Oh and when I spoke to Sevenoaks they said they had about 7 or 8 left in stock with the posibility of a few more comming in, does anyone know if the production has stopped?

I had always assumed that the cut price bits at 7oaks were stock clearance and usually on end of line kit. I have had some good deals from there with Arcam kit (already have an AV9 and P7 so no savings on this combo :().

Ian.

These amps are only going to be as good as their sources.

I am sure the new amp will be demonstrated with a bluray player (maybe Arcams?). That will probably best the AV9/P7 combo via dvd (even a DV139) as you can't play information that is not there in the first place.

For all other sources, the AV9/P7 is very likely to be superior.

I am sure it boils down to how much you want bluray at the highest possible quality.

Graham

Slightly off topic but I can't make the demo tonight, I have A32/P35/AVR300 setup, would be interested to hear what tonights attendees think of the AVR600 and whether it would be better than I have now from a 2 channel perspective (I would expect a big improvement on the AV side of things).
Enjoy the evening guys!!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

A few thoughts on some posts here.

1°) Is the AVR600 a replacement for the AVR350 or for the AV9/P7 ?
- First thing to ask is : does the AVR600 to be a replacement for something in the previous ARCAM line of products ?
- Second thing is to consider that ARCAM has rearranged its line of products. The former Diva/FMJ split does not exist anymore. There's only one line of products. From it looks, it is a FMJ replacement (CD17 and CD37 uses the same shape as the CD23/33/36 and DV27/29/139).
- So my POV is that the AVR600 is a product of it's own. You can't say it replaces something in the former FMJ line, because the former FMJ line has had no receiver. In the HC field, it only has had separates : pre/pro and power amp. Even though it is refitted in a P7 chassis. On the other hand, it is difficult to say it replaces the AVR350 as its specs ar far superior to the AVR350 specs.

As far as I am concerned, I own an AV8 that I just resold to get me one of those AV9 offered by several dealers at steal prices. Knowing the sound produced by an AV8, I do not expect a SIGNIFICANT improvement from the AV9. Just the fact that I am able to resell my AV8 at a decent price and, for a small fee, have a brand new machine with 5 years warranty ! And to be honest, I am absolutely satisfied by the AV8 sound !

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

It should sound very similar, only connectivity changed between the AV8 and 9 according to Arcam

Slightly off topic but I can't make the demo tonight, I have A32/P35/AVR300 setup, would be interested to hear what tonights attendees think of the AVR600 and whether it would be better than I have now from a 2 channel perspective (I would expect a big improvement on the AV side of things).
Enjoy the evening guys!!!:thumbsup:

I've started a thread to list questions for those attending the demo.

Thanks, will post questions there

It should sound very similar, only connectivity changed between the AV8 and 9 according to Arcam

Hi IWC Dopplel,

Well, according to some other posts, they also reconsidered the power supply whci is slightly better in the AV9 than is was in the AV8, and added something like Dolby ES or something like that... and of course the different HDMI inputs/outputs.
Anyways, even though they changed one or two things here and there, I only expect a marginal improvement. My point is :
- I'll get a new machine with a 5 years warranty for a small up-price ;
- I'll have a HDMI switch ;

And if I get me a BRD player that has analog outpputs, I will be able to hear the new HD formats.
Maybe I'll do that with the to-come Arcam player, as I expect it to have onbord decoders and if it has, to have those as good as the ones that will be fitted into their amps...

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

Hi IWC Dopplel,

Well, according to some other posts, they also reconsidered the power supply whci is slightly better in the AV9 than is was in the AV8, and added something like Dolby ES or something like that... and of course the different HDMI inputs/outputs.
Anyways, even though they changed one or two things here and there, I only expect a marginal improvement. My point is :
- I'll get a new machine with a 5 years warranty for a small up-price ;
- I'll have a HDMI switch ;

And if I get me a BRD player that has analog outpputs, I will be able to hear the new HD formats.
Maybe I'll do that with the to-come Arcam player, as I expect it to have onbord decoders and if it has, to have those as good as the ones that will be fitted into their amps...

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

I can see the attraction of HDMI connectivity for most, I go direct to the projector for picture and digital out to the AV8, I don't use any video connectivity in the AV8.

I wonder whether Arcam will pitch the top end solution as a BR with full decoding and analogue in to a prpcessor. They do seem unhappy with HDMI dealing with both anyway. Might make the AV9's a very good buy !

If they come out with a BD player for 2k then at that price I expect it to decode better than the AVR600 unless they put SD capabilites of the DV139.

Great news! I wish I hadn't demoed the AV9/P7 combo because it has led me to the AVR600. Starting ton feel the AV9/P7 is not right for me at this moment in time.

Its definitely an unplanned expense, AV9/P7 or AVR600, but with the current savings it maybe too good to miss out on!!

Tonight should be a great event no matter what the outcome will be!

For the benefit of this thread don't forget about the VAT incentive that is in place tonight also!!!

So what did you think of the AVR600?

Alright Guys\Gals,

It was a great night!!!

I'm on burnout @ work till at least lunch time and can't allow myself to get distracted. Anyway I will give proper details later!!

John Dawson was there spoke to him for ages, let me open up the ARV600..

Watch this space!!!

John Dawson was there spoke to him for ages, let me open up the ARV600..

Did he give away any details on the up coming Blu-Ray player or the AV10? I doubt it mind, but no harm in asking :devil:

Hi

Was this amp any good ??

Does anyone have any experiences of the Av9 as well for something to compare it to ?

Would be great to hear whats its like ?

Also was expecting floods of posts raving about the Avr600 this morning.

Hope i haven't made the wrong decision buying an Av9

Thanks

Before you read my comments on last nights event please remember the following
-I'm new to the AV scene and have a allot to learn
-Apologies if my experience is of no use to you
-IÂ’m going on memory and may make mistake's or mix information

If the AVR600 isnÂ’t hardware p0rn I donÂ’t know what is, the internals look to be extremely modular for potential upgrades on upcoming technologyÂ’s. After opening the case John D gave a detailed run down of the innards. My thoughts where in hyper drive as my main aim was to help me come to the right decision. Underneath the case there are two massive fans to keep the system cool, big grills top and bottom with two large fans underneath to ensure decent heat dissipation. You can see the internals trough the grills which looks really cool. I asked about getting the temp on the front LCD screen, John D said if he gave me the maintenance codes itÂ’s possible.

ThereÂ’s a completely revamped GUI due to the on-board video circuits which automatically scales to selected resolution and is looking great! I was very impressed! Much needed update imho but not possible without the new video circuitry. I suspect the first batch of AVR600's will be sold out. Lucky for me, as an individual I'm one of the first to place an order! The AVR600 will be ready when itÂ’s ready. That could be between late December to February baring no issues. Demo units will be available in stores within the next month. So if you would like one get ordering now to avoid a painful wait.

In the meantime I suspect Arcam will be working hard to iron out any remaining bugs. As an early adopter I guess itÂ’s reasonably to assume we will suffer with bugs, but they will be resolved as and when they materialise. Similar to how Audio lab have been dealing with their issues. Firmware\software updates via serial or even USB if we are really lucky. Network card installed as standard which I was really happy about. I have a terrible low quality snapshot of the innards but said I wouldnÂ’t post online. Low quality crackberry cam you can't see much so nothing to miss!

Arcams bluray player is in the pipe line. And 6 channel analogue out users will be looked after. Bass management HD audio etc etc!! I will personally disregard the recent and future comments on the claimed quality issues of the upcoming player. No one has seen it in action. Most of the time I was discussing my options with John D and David from Frank Harvey HiFi. Loved every second of it. I was one of the first to walk in and went straight up stairs to be greeted by an AVR600 and John. Took me a decent amount of time to realise that John was John Dawson, he came across extremely technical and has spent over 2 years of his life working on the AVR600. I could hear the carnage from the demo rooms produced by the ARV600 and Kef refs but held of going in for most of the night.

When I finally went in for a listen I couldn't compare the demo to the AV9/P7 demo for obvious reasons. I got a chance to give my 360 a test run and it was impressive but I didn’t have the same wow factor as I did with the AV9/P7 but only because the combo was tested with my speakers. It would be madness to deny that the sound was nothing short of astounding. I personally would of preferred a listen with the MA Gold signature's as I will be upgrading in the next 6 – 12 months. I truly believe in the AVR600 and I can’t wait to get my hands on mine. I have a feeling its going to be a huge hit. I personally prefer the Arcam sound over the Jap amps, also knowing the fact that stereo is normally un-matched. The great thing is the AVR600 ticks all the boxes on top of sounding amazing.

I loved meeting John Dawson and it was great to get an insight into his personality whilst asking questions and covering many different areas of AV. I learnt a huge amount in such a short period of time. 5 hours in the car round trip and the event was well worth it. On top of that I made a massive saving close to ÂŁ500. All I can say is whens the next event.

ItÂ’s safe to say we can expect an AV9 replacement, and could be built on some of the tech inside the AVR600. John D and David impacted my decision making process in a great way showing no bias to any particular choice but concentrating on the facts and passing on solid knowledge. One last thing the Mitsu was amazing, My HD80 is wicked but I had to try not think about how beautiful the Mitsu was.. So quiet too!! I want one! Sorry for the badly articulated post and lack of technical expertise and hope its interesting in some way. As always looking forward to comments, and please ask questions as it may bring alive those memory banks. I only had 4 hours sleep last night due getting back late and test driving my new MA Bronze centre.

Peace! :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the quite detailed write up

Hope you will be very pleased with your purchase.

Sorry but of course people have seen Arcams blu-ray, John Dawson is not likely to say it is not quite as good as they would like.
And they sure have been taking along time with it.

I would say who has seen it but that would jepedise much or any future involvement with Arcam.

The main reason i mentioned it is i and many people are very interested at owning an arcam blu-ray but not at an overhyped price or picture quality when money could quite possibly be better spent elsewhere for nearly the same or even possibly better for much less.

We will have to wait and see ?

Thanks anyhow

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom