Arcam FMJ AV888 Processor

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As there doesn't seem to be a thread on this yet I thought I might as well start one.

attachment.php

A mere snip at £4500 :rolleyes:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Find out more about the FMJ and Solo product ranges

The AV888 redefines both the feature set and sonic performance of high end AV processing and pre-amplification. The result of a massive 2 ½ year ground-up development programme, it features all new state of the art audio stages and balanced audio connectivity. Combined with its natural partner, P777 power amplifier, the AV888 represents a new standard for AV amplification.
Since the early 1990's, Arcam has been dedicated to bringing high fidelity sound to the world of home cinema. Using audio technology usually reserved for audiophile stereo equipment, Arcam have pushed the boundaries for combined music and movie reproduction. The AV8 and AV9 AV processors have won numerous awards for sound and video quality around the world while Arcam's audiophile AV receivers have gained wide critical acclaim in the more affordable sector.

Wolfson 8741 Digital to Analogue converters are deployed across all eight channels bringing ultra linear conversion of digital audio signals. Individual, multi-regulated power supplies feed all critical audio stages with studio grade Burr Brown DRV134 balanced line drivers used for balanced audio outputs to drive longer cable runs or active speaker configurations with extreme fidelity.

To help eliminate the large volume jumps often found in broadcast TV sound user selectable Dolby Volume* processing is included, a world's first for an AV processor. In addition Dolby Volume includes programme dependant tonal correction to deliver a richer, more realistic sound experience at low listening levels.

The AV888s internal video processing delivers sublime video using broadcast quality scaling and frame rate conversion from Pixelworks. Up-conversion of all video inputs to HDMI output at all commonly used standard or high definition resolutions is possible making system integration a simple affair. Full RS232 and IR connectivity are deployed along with IP control and dedicated interface for control and audiophile playback of iPods using the rDock or rLead.

Arcam's world wide reputation for sound quality has come from over thirty years of experience and legendary attention to detail. All of this experience has been brought to bear in the development of the AV888 and as a result its sound quality is simply world-class. No matter what the program material, from the most explosive block blockbuster action to the most subtle musical detail, the AV888 will delivers simply breathtaking performance.
Analogue Audio

• Audiophile quality components for best sound quality
  • Multi-channel 7.1 analogue input for DVD-A or SACD sources
  • Stereo direct mode bypasses and disables all digital processing for 2 channel analogue sources
  • 9 stereo analogue inputs (including one MM phono input & front 3.5mm AUX input)
  • Zone 2 stereo audio, from analogue inputs (Source and volume control independent from main zone)
  • Zone 3 stereo audio, from analogue inputs, linked to Zone 2, volume control independent
  • Support for iPod via Arcam rLead / rDock (independent of RS232 connection)
Digital Audio

• State of the art Analog Devices ADSP-21366 & ADSP-21367 DSPs for surround decoding
  • Wolfson 8471 high end 24bit 192kHz audio DACs
  • Crystal Semiconductor stereo ADC and precision electronic volume controls
  • Burr Brown DRV134 Balanced line drivers
  • Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital+, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS HD Master Audio*
  • DTS High Resolution Audio, DTS-ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, DTS96/24, DTS Neo:6**
  • Dolby Volume gain management and Tonal correction processing*
  • Dolby Volume processing for balancing of program material gain and tonal balance
  • Adjustable crossover switching 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz
  • 8 digital inputs 4 rear optical, 3 co-axial, 1 front 3.5mm optical AUX input
  • Global audio delay, adjustable from 0-1000 milliseconds, to compensate for video processing delays in digital displays and sources with auto lip-sync for compatible displays
Video

• 5 HDMI inputs (up to 1080p, Deep Colour)
  • 2 HDMI outputs (up to 1080p, Deep Colour)
  • 5 Component inputs, one monitor output (up to 1080i)
  • 5 S-video inputs, one monitor output, 2 tape outputs
  • 5 Composite video inputs, one monitor output, 2 tape outputs
  • Full video up/down conversion & frame rate conversion of all inputs where technically allowed
  • Video enhancements (per input): Edge enhancement, Mosquito noise reduction, Random noise reduction, Block noise reduction
Custom Install Features

• Independent Zone 2 (audio & video), with fixed/variable volume
  • Zone 3 audio with fixed/variable volume (follows Zone 2)
  • Balanced audio outputs (XLR) for long cables or active speakers
  • RC-5 remote input jacks for all three zones
  • IP control over Ethernet
  • IR pass through for source components
  • Full suite of discrete IR RC-5 codes, including separate on / off etc
  • 12Volt triggers, on / off for zones 1, 2 and 3
  • Full duplex RS232 control input for more complex control systems
  • Audio streaming and Internet radio via Ethernet port
General

• Supplied with back-lit CR102 learning remote
  • control with support for up to 7 other components and a huge on-board code library
  • Large, high contrast dimmable VFD front panel display
  • User switchable between 120 & 230 volt
  • mains supplies
  • Size – 435mm (17.1in) wide, 415mm (16.3in)
  • deep, 185mm (7.3in) high
  • Weight 12kg (26.5lbs) nett, 17kg (37.5lbs) packed

Attachments

• 18791.jpg
    18791.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3,583
  • 51_large.jpg
    51_large.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 2,976
  • 52_large.jpg
    52_large.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,531
Last edited:
im waiting to hear one myself ...although not sure how I could audition it in order to convince me to purchase it

If some place will loan me one for a weekend so I can do a back to back test with something else like a Marantz and I can hear £2500 worth of difference, I might have one ;)

...it had better be outstanding at that price point....£3K would be more like it IMO

The AV888 will have to be something spectacular as the AVR600 has set the bar extremely high and looks a reasonable price when compared to 888 + 777.

With all the 1-3k processors about/appearing this does seem a bit on the expensive side. Personally I am glad, as it is so far out of my reach I can forget about it :D

With this being a processor alone, what does it offer over and above the processing ability of the AVR600 to justify spending another £1000 on it, and that is before getting the corresponding amplifier?

I'd still like a volume knob ;)

With all the 1-3k processors about/appearing this does seem a bit on the expensive side. Personally I am glad, as it is so far out of my reach I can forget about it :D

Ditto

With this being a processor alone, what does it offer over and above the processing ability of the AVR600 to justify spending another £1000 on it, and that is before getting the corresponding amplifier?

exactly...I could quite happily have a receiver and use it as a processor ...exactly what ive done the last 2 years :smashin:

Personally I am glad, as it is so far out of my reach I can forget about it :D

If the AVR600 isn't out of your reach then take a look at it....I swear I'm getting cynical about new AV electronics, but this piece of kit wow'd me :thumbsup:

So, anyone heard when we might actually see the 888 & 777 deliveries then? Given the delays to the AVR600, I'm guessing it won't be next month!

I have heard that it will be released and start to be shipped very early in July...:clap:

So, anyone heard when we might actually see the 888 & 777 deliveries then? Given the delays to the AVR600, I'm guessing it won't be next month!

i will be steering well clear following a demo of my friend's avr600. how they can release products with so many bugs and attempt to fix via firmware after launch is beyond me. i would rather the product launch be delayed another month than release it with so many bugs like the avr600 - i hope Arcam are listening to this as my friend is gutted with his amp :lesson:

i will be steering well clear following a demo of my friend's avr600. how they can release products with so many bugs and attempt to fix via firmware after launch is beyond me. i would rather the product launch be delayed another month than release it with so many bugs like the avr600 - i hope Arcam are listening to this as my friend is gutted with his amp :lesson:

A bit like the Rotel 1570 then?

Is there a trend to get these out too quick?

Have we all become so obsessed with HDsound we've lost our minds?:eek:

Now I do understand why Denon increased the price of the AVP when they realised that they are playing alone (save it for Anthem). Not to mention 3 sub outs, and 9 channels should they decide to add Prologic IIz.

Lets, face it complex DSPs and software is not for small companies and I am even surprised that Anthem pulled it through. I will however wait since the Denon is really expensive and will be outdated equally fast...

i would rather the product launch be delayed another month than release it with so many bugs like the avr600 - i hope Arcam are listening to this as my friend is gutted with his amp
I rather suspect that this is what has indeed happened - the AV888 launch has been delayed quite significantly, presumably while the firmware bugs have been sorted out (the AV888 is functionally identical to an AVR600 as far as the firmware is involved).

A bit like the Rotel 1570 then?

Is there a trend to get these out too quick?

Have we all become so obsessed with HDsound we've lost our minds?:eek:

I auditioned the Rotel quite recently and while it had a few software issues (apparently there's just been an update, btw) the Rotel was nowhere near as bad as the Arcam, it didn't try to rip your speaker cones apart during mode switching for one thing!

I auditioned the Rotel quite recently and while it had a few software issues (apparently there's just been an update, btw) the Rotel was nowhere near as bad as the Arcam, it didn't try to rip your speaker cones apart during mode switching for one thing!

The Audiolab 8000AP came out with a few bugs as well, mostly to do with HDMI handshaking and Upsampling, but nothing as vicious as speaker destroying pops and clicks.

It's quite likely that some of these units are being rushed to market to secure market share, but, on the other hand it's virtually impossible to test every scenario out there and be sure that the product is perfect. Let's face it, these things are essentially computers these days, and Bill Gates has never managed to release anything bug free with all his company's experience, so how do you think a small hifi company will fare?

That said, it does sound like the Arcam has come to market with some inexcusable bugs!

Out of reach for me ... looks like the AV 9 can feel secure in our listening room for many years to come.

Has anyone had any success with feeding SKY HD on HDMI through their AV888? I find that HD content isn't too bad but background detail such as faces can go a little strange and detail free. SD really looks like its going through a composite connection though...

The thing is, I have an ISF calibrated Pioneer PDP-LX508, but the calibration was done with the SKY box diectly connected. Actually its a different SKY box now as well!:)

So logicially, it seems to me that I should be trying to get as close as possible to a 'source direct' mode which the AV888 of course lacks. Indeed the best picture seems to be with the SKY HD box on 1080i, The AV888 output on 1080i and 'Follow Input' for frame rate with some minimal tweaking of the brightness and contrast. It's a shame the SKY boxes can't trasnsmit test patterns, but they even lack contrast control now.

Any help gratefully received...because it looks like I am headed back to direct connection at this rate.

Voles

Last edited:
I swapped out my DV139 for an Oppo as well as swapping out my AV9 for an AV888. I have a little query about audio decoding on AV888 which I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere else.

Can the AV888 decode HDCD or must that be done by the Oppo?

The same goes for SACD, though it seems to coping with that.

The Oppo manual seems to favour external decoding for all audio for some reason.

I would also be interested in any other settings (audio or video) that have been experimented in with these two boxes.

I was really surprised and oddly disappointed to find that Blu-Ray is better (i.e. smoother) going 'output direct' through the AV888 rather than 'processed' directly to the screen, which seems counter-intuitive to say the least!

Voles

Last edited:
Can the AV888 decode HDCD or must that be done by the Oppo? The same goes for SACD, though it seems to coping with that.
The AV888 offers neither HDCD nor DSD decoding.

The AV888 offers neither HDCD nor DSD decoding.

Thanks Mr Yudkin. That sorts that one out then!

No thoughts on SKY HD I suppose? (See above)

Voles

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom