Arcam FMJ AV888 Processor

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
No thoughts on SKY HD I suppose? (See above)
You already answered your own question on that one - the AV888 doesn't support direct video passthrough, so it will scale anything that isn't whatever you set as the output resolution.

Since the only source that has HD audio and therefore needs to be routed through the AV888 is Bluray, the simpest resolution is to run Sky to the Pioneer TV and S/PDIF to the AV888.

Ashmanuk

The new upgrade 3D board will allow true video bypass when it's available on the AVR600 and AV888

voles

The new upgrade 3D board will allow true video bypass when it's available on the AVR600 and AV888

Thanks. Where can I find the details on this?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Where can I find the details on this?
It was "announced" a little over a year ago on the Arcam web site here. No doubt the Arcam web site will have more precise details when it's available to order.

Avi

Distinguished Member
It was "announced" a little over a year ago on the Arcam web site here. No doubt the Arcam web site will have more precise details when it's available to order.

"The upgrade will be HDMI 1.4 compliant and be available early in 2011."

I guess they didn't really mean "early".

Avi

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
"The upgrade will be HDMI 1.4 compliant and be available early in 2011."

I guess they didn't really mean "early".

Avi
I figure it was just a simple typo, caused by confusion with the BDP100:
"The upgrade will be HDMI 1.4 compliant and be available early in 2012."
:)

Avi

Distinguished Member

At this rate it will be delayed further due to the introduction of HDMI 1.5 :p

Any mention of the upgrade supporting 4k scaling ? This is probably the next tech push tick in the spec box.

Avi

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
At this rate it will be delayed further due to the introduction of HDMI 1.5 :p

Any mention of the upgrade supporting 4k scaling ? This is probably the next tech push tick in the spec box.
Given that the main thing most of us want (e.g. OP's question) is to bypass the scaling, surely adding even more scaling that we have to bypass is that last thing any of us would want? :rolleyes:

AFAIK, the aim is to support what the AVR400 already can do, on the older AVR600 / AV888. But who knows what functionality will be implemented in whatever it is that Arcam may one day release?

voles

I was told that it will be available 'in a couple of weeks' and that the hardware costs £600. Dealer fit of course.

Whats is hdmi 1.5 btw?

Avi

Distinguished Member
I was told that it will be available 'in a couple of weeks' and that the hardware costs £600. Dealer fit of course.

Any indication from the dealer if the upgrade is designed to provide the same functionality as Arcam's latest entry level AVR or does it include different features that may be of benefit to SkyHD box users i.e. re-interlacing ?

Avi

voles

voles

Any indication from the dealer if the upgrade is designed to provide the same functionality as Arcam's latest entry level AVR or does it include different features that may be of benefit to SkyHD box users i.e. re-interlacing ?

Avi

Despite the alleged imminency of these cards, there seems to be little info around. The informed opinion I have received in response to your question was:

'Reinterlacing is a feature of ABT video processing so no it won't have that ...can't see it will do anything other than give HDMI 1.4 chips (which are pretty expensive...). ...surprised that it would do video pass-thru to be honest...we'll have to wait and see what else it may or may not do...

Hope that helps

voles

Using my IPod Classic via an IRDock through the AV888 I get significant problems with the picture in video/film playback. Sometimes some or all of the colour spectrum goes missing, sometimes there a lines across the frame. Yet if I look at Zone 2 (which of course is via a composite output) the picture is normal. It does not seem to matter if the input is S-Video or Composite in Zone 1. Could it be an upscaling problem? Perhaps it is peculiar to the Pioneer PDP-LX.

Incidentally things can be righted if I turn the AV888 completely off and on by the main switch. The picture is still not great but is probably 'normal'.

I was surprised that I could discover no other posts about this. Is it a bug, a feature or just me?

Incidentally it sounds very good!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom