1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam FMJ AV8 & FMJ P7

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by figlio, Oct 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I am going to upgrade my amplifier.First I was looking for a top intagrated amplifier. Now I am considering to buy seperates.The only think I am wondering I have a room of 18 feet by 14 feet is this room big enough to put preamp and power amplifier like the arcam?

2. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes it will sound fine in your sized room also in smaller and bigger rooms:).

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget regardless of room size a GOOD amp is still a GOOD amp......
    :D

4. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for your help

5. andyb505

andyb505

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a room even smaller than yours (approx 12" x 10"). I have a P7/P8 combo with Kef Egg speakers and sub and it sounds stunning. When we demo'd amps we tried a number costing from about £500 up (including Rotel, Denon etc) and nothing came close to the sound produced by the Arcam duo. After 10 months living with the setup my only regret is that we do not have a bigger room available so I can upgrade the speakers to something bigger and better. If you buy the Arcam you will not regret it.

Andy

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I sympathise with your position - your Arcam combo is significantly underutilised with the keff eggs. Some would say that it is being wasted. Have you considered other satellite/monitor speakers - mk's spring to mind.

7. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Andy... Im in the same position as use.. using P7/AV8 with eggs... this is part of a larger upgrade path planned.. but i went from an AVR100... and noticed a hell of an improvement - even on the eggs.

Next plan is to change the speakers.. after christmas (Rags.. i agree with you these speakers dont do it justice at all) - but these upgrades are expensive, and we cant all afford to change to high end everything is one go...

My room is about 18'x14' too - and it sounds great (but will be better!)

Kev

8. Tacitus

Tacitus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Andy, I have a room which is 12' x 12' and I have put in a pair of B&W 805 Signatures, an HTM Signature (a monster centre), and a pair of rear B&W DS7's to match the Arcam AV8/P7 combination. I have also installed a Rel Stentor III sub. This together with my Pioneer 434HDE plasma, soon to be matched with a DVD-868Avi pretty much completes the set up. I find it works damn well in this room size, and apart from the Plasma does not over dominate the room. You might want to also go for a slightly smaller size of the centre speaker than I did - I didn't realize the size of this beast. The whole set up produces great sound though!

9. andyb505

andyb505

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice on speakers. The reason I ended up with the AV8/P7 Kef eggs combination was that having been through 15 years of upgrades to the HiFi system (finally arriving at a complete Linn Active system) I did not want to go through the same with the AV system. I therefore spent as much as I could afford on the best balance of DVD player and amplification knowing that in the future I will be upgrading the speakers. For now the Kef eggs will do until I can afford the speaker upgrade!

10. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This combo is also good in stereo?

11. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: