1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam FMJ A22 V's A32

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DJBlade, Mar 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    As header, anyone compared both, strengths, weaknesses, overall..? thanks for any replies

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The A22 can accept the DAVE and MARC modules, the A32 can only accept the MARC module (IIRC?)

Apart from that I believe they're failry similar apart from little tweaks. I have the A22 (selling it) but have never heard tha A32 so can't comment on an audio comparison.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    The A32 (along with the A85) is getting a (multi-way I think) 5-channel input control module for DVD-A / SACD soon.

Vikki

PS. not heard either so definately can't comment on sonic differences.

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Whilst these integrated amps mostly perform the same functions in stereo, their internal circuitry is very different. The A32 is frankly the better machine, and uses the latest current feedback power amplifier circuit topology, also found in the A85/P85 and, in extended form, in the P7 multichannel power amplifier.

The A32 does not accept the DAVE or MARC modules. We will shortly release a very high performance multichannel input module for the A32 and A85, with two 8 channel inputs and full volume control and level trim functions.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    See my reply in this other thread.

The A32 is better, but not by much. Interestingly the A22, which doesn't use the new Arcam amp topology is hugely superior to the A85 which does...makes you wonder :)

Michael.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, I have just read your post and nearly died! You say the module will have TWO sets of inputs? Will this be a seperate box?

My problem is that I want to plug my 5.1's from the DVD into 5 channel inputs so the A32 with module was the original plan. I realised though that I would need a DD/DTS decoder for things like consoles etc.

Will it be possible to get the A32 with the module, plug a DVD-A player into one set of inputs for high quality stereo/multi channel and movies (decoded by player) and the get a cheap DD/DTS processor for the XBOX and plug the pre-outs of this into the other set of inputs?

This would solve all my problems in one go. I was set on the AV8 but demoed an A32 the other day and fell in love with it.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The multi-channel input module will be a slot-in card (like the DAVE and MARC cards before it). There should be a large area blanked off on the back of your A32 to accept it.

You are right in saying that for console use etc you will need some sort of pre-processing before the Arcam. It may be worth looking for something like the Technics SH-AC500 DD/dts/DPL processor that came out a few years ago. This should cover everything you need to add on, with the exception of DPLII for GC games.

Hopefully I'll be able to get more info on it all over easter time when I'm back doing some work.

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Paiger,

What you propose is exactly what we had in mind - i.e. one multichannel input on the A32/85 to work with the DV89 or DV27A for DD5.1, DTS 5.1 and DVD-A, using the player's bass manager, and the other with any other external source, be that a processor, SACD player or whatever.

Of course we would prefer you to buy an AV8 (!) but we have been designing this alternative approach because not everyone will want or be able to go that far.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you consider the AV8 to be equal to the A32 for stereo and multi-channel music? I must say I have demoed both but not back to back and I felt the A32 had the edge (stereo obviously).

Maybe I should demo back to back and decide based on that. My first love is music and I'm keen on DVD-A and SACD but the AV8 in much more convenient for DPL2 etc.

10. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

At present I'm the very happy owner of the FMJ A32 & FMJ CD23T.
    Eagerly awaiting to buy a FMJ DV27A...

To get the full 'ARCAM' surround experience in the future, would this imply only that I upgrade the A32 + buy a P35/3 ?

BTW am impressed by this forum and certainly that people as Mr. Dawson take their time to touch base with end-users.

KR,
    Stef

11. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi Stef,

Does the cd23t have a plug in module for dvda (in stereo only)? Or is an Arcam dvd player required?

12. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Stef ... yes if you upgrade the A32 with the multichannel module, and add a P35/3 you'll be able to get DVD-A from the DV27A and (I assume) DD and DTS off DVD-Videos. You obviously won't get and surround sound off any other sources though unless you also have another decoder. As John Dawson has said previously ... of course they'd prefer you to buy the AV8 :)

Snowman ... you won't be able to upgrade a CD23T to DVD-A as the transport mechanism isn't able to read DVDs. It's only the DV27 (well and DV88+) that will be able to be upgraded to DVD-A.

Vikki

13. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent... thanks very much for your input sounddog...
    Well, very good news (the A32 is so damn good in stereo that I don't want to kiss it goodby) and hey... who knows I'll add a AV8 in the future

KR,
    Stef