1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam firmware update!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by jimcarney, Mar 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Called in at my local dealer today to see if he had any firmware CDs!
    he said it would be better if I brought my DV79 in to have it installed ,he said I could void the warranty if I did it wrong ,is this the case ?......Jim

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you DIY and all goes well then there will be no probelm with your warranty. If however somethijng does go wrong then it will be a chargeable repair.
    I've just recently done my own upgrade on my DV29 with no problems, and TBH can't see what could go wrong other than a power cut at the wrong time. But it is your own risk if you do DIY.

The other thing to say is, why do you want to upgrade the firmware? Are you having problems with the player or is it just a matter of wanting the latest? I was havijng problems with my player, which is why I did the upgrade. However there is now an even newer version and I see no reason to upgrade as everythijng is currently working.
    If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

Mark.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I concur, if you do it yourself and cock it up (which I know is hard but it is possible) then it is not covered by warranty and you will be charged either by the dealer or by Arcam to fix it.

4. GarySargent

GarySargent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are half competant with a computer I'd do it yourself. Watching the dealers scratch their heads when you say the word "firmware" does not instill confidence!!!

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Why wouldnt it be covered by warranty ? I called Arcam they sent me the update disc - no persuasion required. Why would they send it to me directly if the warranty was an issue ?

6. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Unless Arcam are content for you to return a dead unit to them for repair at no cost, which is something you should check with them first.
    Then your contract for purchase is with the dealer who has the right to decide the warranty conditions upon which he offers the goods to you. Hence if the unit is faulty or develops a fault he will help, but if you through incompetence turn a working unit into a dead one trying to upgrade the firmware, why should he help. The unit worked fine before you trashed it. If he makes it clear to you that all upgrades have to be done by him then he is taking the risk. If you do it yourself why should he still carry the risk?

7. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Actually, I believe the manufacturer's warranty is between the manufacturer and the end customer - the retailer acts as the maunfacturer's agent I think.

The laws covering this are different from, and in addition to the normal consumer legislation that covers the contract between the retailer and his customer.

So it's up to Arcam, not the retailer, to decide what the warranty covers.

FW updates are discussed elsewhere in this forum, with replies from Arcam that show clearly that you do this at your own risk and if it goes wrong, the fix is not covered by warranty.

8. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies guys,what are the benifits of the latest firmware ?..Jim

9. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got an AVR-300 yesterday. How do you find the firmware level?

10. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Via the Arcam Importer :

Press DVD & SAT buttons on the front Panel. It displays in the AVR300 and if a video device is connected also there in more complete form..

My unit is Version 2.74. Looks like it is pre-historic. Comments from someone at ARCAM are welcome.

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I would suggest you ask your dealer to update it for you. Alternatively I can e-mail you a copy of the firmware but this is done entirely at your own risk and if you mes it up you will be charged by either your dealer or Arcam to fix it.

12. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I already got the software, instructions, etc. Asked the dealer to perform it, but they have no experience. ARCAM is in the process of switching importers here in Portugal. My unit came from the company which will cease to be an importer soon.
    I have no problems with the computer side of it, but I am afraid thar the ARCAM hangs in the process of loading and what can you do then. How many times did you perfom the operation? Where all sucessfull?.

13. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I get a firmware CD in the USA?

14. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just did it myself. No problems at all. Seems to sound much better in DTSNeo music. I do not use center channel and think I never will. The Front speakers are driven by an A22 in proc mode and bi-wired. It is quite a superb kit for surround sound for those who have a large library of CD (85% classical, 15% Jazz) and do not want to buy the same thing again in SACD or DVD...

15. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How do I check which firmware my unit has ? thanks in advance ...Jim

16. RacerChris

RacerChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't Arcam publish what updates are available on the Internet and what the updates include?

17. GarySargent

GarySargent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be far too sensible!

And since they only recommend using dealers for upgrades, it would lead to dealers being swamped with requests for upgrades.

18. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact ARCAM publishes that. But you have to know the Internet address. This I will not supply, but I believe that if you ask nicely Mr. Andy Dutton, and are a knowledeable user of PC, he may supply that to you...