1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam dvd players vs. Arcam cd players wrt. music

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Diggin4fire, Apr 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Diggin4fire

Diggin4fire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a new (and very enthusiastic) owner of the AVR300, which never ceases to delight me, especially wrt. to musical qualities. I want to upgrade from my old cd-player (Marantz mk42) to a more modern cd-player with better musical qualities, but at the same time I would not exclude the possibility of being able to play DVD-Audio (and preferably also SACD).
    Buying both a DVD-A-player (such as the DV79) and an Arcam cd-player seems a tall order.
    Does anyone know whether the DV79 is comparable to, say, the Diva CD73 when it comes to playing normal music cds? Making do with the DV79 would suit me (and my wife) so very fine!
    Uffe :)

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got a DV79 and a CD73. I used the DV79 for CD playback until I borrowed the CD73 for a few days. IMHO the CD73 is better for CD playback, there seems to be a little bit more detail. As a result, I bought the CD73.

John

3. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is something you CAN decide for yourself in a stereo shop. Just take a favourite CD and listen to it thru both devices.

4. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I assume your using the DACS in the DV79 for CD replay. If your using it purely as a transport (ie using the DACS in the AVR300) I would have thought the difference would be negligible?

I recently compared the CD replay of the DV29 vs, the CD33. Personally, although I thought there was a marginal improvement, it was not worth the extra cost and complexity of having the two machines. The dealer thought the difference was "chalk and cheese", but then he wasn't stumping up the cash!

Greg

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I would have to agree with the dealer in that respect. I initially planned on using my DV29 for CD and DVD but got the CD33 in the end as the sound difference was so huge. I was however comparing them using a £7000 dedicated two channel amplifier configuration and a £4500 stereo speaker configuration. I think doing this comparison through the AVR300 would show far less of a difference showing that although the AVR300 is good for music purposes it still can't compare to a dedicated stereo setup.

6. Diggin4fire

Diggin4fire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, guys! You have helped me a great deal in my decision proces! Not that I'm there, yet, but I have been made aware of a couple of important aspects!
    Best regards,
    Uffe
    :thumbsup:

7. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I warn you never to choose equipment using mainly or only favorite CD's, or other media.

Or the contrary take a record of an orchestra or group or singer that you like and have heard live and have also records of that do not sound right to you.

Hear the component in the equipment that you have at home, just replacing that component. If dealer refuses, go to one who agrees....

Go back to your present component often to compare, or better still, make a copy of that CD plug the two components in your system, play the record on both with 5-10 seconds of interval between start of play, and change the input often . If you hear no difference do not spend the money on the new component, but use 10% of it to buy better interconnects...

If that so-so record now sounds better, that's an improvement.

Try to read the Article "A tale of Two Audiophiles" by John Marks in the April 2005 VOL.28 NO.4 of stereophile magazine at
    http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/

when it will be posted there, probably in two monts, or get a magazine copy.

It is also worth spending some time to read Peter Moncrieff review of the AVR300 at http://www.iar-80.com/
    He writes at certain point : "the AVR300's on board D/A converter is so superb that it beats the sound of the D/A converter in most premium disk players, and equals the sound of the best outboard d/A converters". You'll will also learn more about your AVR300 that in other article and in this forum
    It certainly beats by Audio Alchemy DAC In the box, but that is not a state of the art component anymore. Now it rests in a box in the basement storage room.

The only reason I can see to buy today a top class CD player is that the future generation DVD players with blue lasers will probably not play CD's. Thus, in not so distant future if you are young and follow the High-definition DVD, you need to keep your old DVD just to play CD's. Even as a transport only it will not match the best and manufacturers will cease to make CD mechanisms in the near future.

I once had a Marantz CD-52 MkII special edition which is contemporary of your CD-42. It had a very good transport (Philips CDM4, albeit plastic version) a a good digital output. I don't know if yours has one also. If it has plug it in digital Coax if possible using a high quality coax cable (silver is the best) to the ARCAM. You will be amazed at the difference. Try playing CD's in DTS Neo Music.

If it has no digital out, the it's time to say goodbye to it and the DV 79 is probably your best bet overall for the money. I believe that videowise it has an HDMI, so is future proof in that area..

You don't need an ARCAM CD. It has the same DAC as the AVR 300, except the top model of FMJ CD33 that I believe still uses the Ring Dac, but I'm not sure..

8. Diggin4fire

Diggin4fire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Crespotav! The coaxial connection works wonders - I was lucky to have a coaxial output in my CD42. Think, I'll put that cd-player update on hold for a while!
    The IAR-article is very good, indeed!
    Uffe

9. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It feels good to know that my suggestion was of use. I never changed a component with less than 5 years of use. I once got rid of a central channel because it's not needed in my (4,2 m W x 4,7 D) room, not very good for music). It was returned 1 month after purchase.

Now, the the AVR300 in DTS Neo music there is ansolutely no need for center channel. Ditto for movies. I was just viewing "Gladiator" (US version - Signature selection -86386 Dreamworks) in DTS ES 6.1 with only 4 large speakers: the dialogue is crystal clear even during loud battle sounds.

By the way, coming to your original dilemma and some dealer recommendations posted in reply to it, Stereophile Magazine rates Arcam DV-79:$1795 in Class A and Arcam FMJ CD33:$2499 in class B.

ARCAM uses the latest and best Integrated circuits in the equipment it is currently developping, does not wait for a slot in the Top of Range like the americans and a certain clarinet player...

Do you know the unit price for the Cirrus Logic CS49400, the DSP in AVR300? It's $19,71 each if you by 10.000. If Arcam sells 10 times more Diva Models than FMJ equivalents, no wonder the difference in price. I also own a FMJ A22, and will not replace it. I may sell if it atains collector's prices...

What I would like ARCAM to do is release a "Transport only" version of the DiVA 79. Only digital outputs (HDMI, SPDIF and Firewire) are needed. No DSP, no 6 DAc's, those are all and better (or same as) already in the AVR300.

For 75-80% of the current price DV79 I would order one straight away..
    But, please Mr. Dutton, with FireWire/1394/i.LINK, call it want you want..