1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DVD Players & Loewe Aconda+Component Input

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by akash, Feb 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can 100% say that the AV3 input on the Loewe tv's accept both a RGB & Component input via scart using a fully wired scart cable.

There is only 1 company i know of that will allow its DVd players to output component signals (INTERLEACED) via scart, that is the arcam dvd players, both the dv88 and the dv27.

If your players have only phono component ouputs, there is a new cable by the ever reliable QED cable company called the AV29 which is component+sync to scart cable(NEW).

I have been extensively researching the web for for progressive component input capability of the AV3 input on the loewe, it is possible without the using the so called VGA option.

But you have to disable the internal progressive scanning of the loewe from the service menu to allow NTSC progressive to be recieved.

2. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone i have got my new qed av2930 lead.

tried all sorts of ways to utilise the progressieve outputs.

the tv did detect it but it showed what i can only describe as a split screen.

these are the combinations i used using 3 phono via progressive out on the arcam dvd player to SCART AV3 on loewe:

1) component out (YUV with sync) to loewe SCART

2) component out (YUV without sync) to loewe SCART

3) RGB+Sync to loewe scart!

SO UNFORTUNATLEY THIS PROVES THAT PROGRESSIVE DOES NOT GET ACCEPTED VIA AV3 SCART

BUT I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM OF NTSC FLICKER BY USING THIS NEW CABLE FOR INTERLACED COMPONENT (3 phono + sync via composite) TO SCART.
    THERE IS NO MORE FLICKER!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN ALSO USE THIS CABLE TO OUTPUT RGB VIA 3 PHONO + SYNC (composite) also did not have flicker.

PLEASE NOTE I DID NOT have any adjustment done in the service menu.

so this test has not been without success!

I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THE QED AV2930 CABLE.

ALSO MY NEW LOEWE 40" IS THE BEST TELEVISION OUT THERE!!
    ALONG WITH THE AWESOME ARCAM FMJDV27 & DENON A11SR!

3. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Akash

Good to see your dedication!

However, It has left me a bit confused and I would appreciate your help!

I currently have a Sony DVD player (multiregion entry level from about 3 years back) and have a Loewe Aconda on order.

First of all, what in your opinion is the best way to connect the Sony to the Aconda?

Secondly, I'm thinking of upgrading the DVD player and fancy the Denon 2800 with progressive scan. Will this cause problems with playback of R1 discs? How would you suggest connecting the Loewe and the Denon???

4. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    firstly i am going to guess that you have a scart & 3 phono interlaced component output on your dvd player.

1a) use a fully wired scart to scart cable to AV3 on the leowe setting the AV3 loewe input signal as an RGB signal on your tv settings
    OR
    1b) an AV490 QED RGB only cable which is best for a scart to scart connection but you will only get picture no sound, the benefit being no picture interference.

2) use an QED AV2930 cable to connect, 4 phono (YUV & composite as sync) to scart to AV3, setting the loewe input signal as YUV sync via CVBS, please note this component signal is 480i NOT 480p

the interlaced componnent (480i) gives the clearest picture especailly for colours which are rock soild no jittering as far as i could tell ( i used an arcam DV88)

aslo the denon has no problem with NTSC playback, it can be modified to allow multiregion via firmware, i think if i am coorect but it is simple.

i can tell you i did originally want to get the denon 2800 but i found it did not handle red colours very well it had what a call red streaking problems, go here for explanation http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

dont get me wrong the denon is excellent value for money but i wanted something better, definetely try the arcam DV88, which i tried, excellent machine which is on par with the denon.

i settled in the end for the arcam dv27, the best player on the market!! TAG may be better, too expensive. BUT i would love to own a camelot roundtable, only available in america, this machine kicks ass if i had the mulla

hope this helps

5. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i now have a definite answer for the NTSC problems on the loewe aconda, it can only be got ridden of if you turn off the internal progressive scan on the loewe tv via the service menu BUT remember that you will then start to notice the NTSC scan lines.

this is because when the internal prog scan of the loewe is ON it converts the 480i NTSC (60hz) signal into 480p signal (120hz) which the tv cannot handle. when the internal prog scan is OFF it shows the NTSC scan lines

PLEASE note that the loewe is not progressive scanning the dvd input signal BUT merely doubling the image lines to fool the viewer in seeing smoother pictures by using a process called internal line doubling, NOT progressive scanning!!

but the loewe does it quite well, albeit at the sacrifice of flicker problems

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Akash.......yep...i had to turn off the 'line doubler' due to flicker...

Sit far enough away from the square, and the famous NTSC line
    structure isn't too bad.....

You can't beat a bit of option-byte!!!!!!!

PS......Have a play with the other 'option bytes'........I couldn't
    resist!

Adzman

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Akash...

2 companies for component via SCART......(i've seen)

Arcam
    Meridian

8. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

How do you disable the internal prog scan via the service menu??? Is this easy to do?
    Do you then have to re-enable it for r2 dvds?
    Cheers

9. polaco

polaco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been experimenting with component also. I have a Loewe Xelos (scart) connected to a Toshiba 210 via component (3xRCA), using a cable I made, because I couldn't find a cable that would do it (seems this QED one is new). The Loewe is set at "sync on Y".
    The problem is that the TV doesn't switch automatically between 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic DVDs. What am I doing wrong?

- I should make a cable with 3 RCA for YUV and another one for composite and set the Loewe for "sync on composite" or

- The sync has nothing to do with the automatic switching?

The component out on the Toshiba is interlaced, of course. The TV switches using s-video. The picture is fine as it is, just doesn't switch.

Thanks