1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Dvd Players.. How much Difference?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Matt Horne, May 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Well.... I am waiting patiently for the AVP700 to be released so I can go get a demo as a possible replacement for my Tag av23r SP 96.

As a aside with the inclusion of HDMI sockets its now tempting to look at upgrading Dvd player to complement the new processor.

So I had a couple of questions... I currently use the DV88+ and have done since it was released.

Is there any difference in the performance (which I still think is great) between this and the DV79 ? (other than the inclusion of DVD-A and a HDMI socket) Have the dacs etc been updated since hte DV88+ ?.

And to add to the pot, Is the extra £600 worth it for the DV29 over the DV79 in the sonics/picture department ? and would I see a noticable difference over my current player ?

I also believe that the HDMI on the 79 will only carry video, whereas the 29 does video/audio. is this correct ?

Cheers

Matt

2. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I've no experience of the DV88+, but I've recently replaced a Meridian 596 DVD player (c£2400) with the Arcam DV29 and I have to say that I was staggered by the improvement in PQ. I suppose it is the difference between Interlaced RGB scart (in the 596) and Progressive scan HDMI (DV29). Sound quality I say is on a par (no mean feat).

When I bought the DV29, I did investigate the DV79. I felt the former was superior in terms of audio. The video was closer, but I think it had the edge. For me it was worth the extra and my wife thought it looked better above the AV8/P7 (and believe you me, you would not want to argue with her!)

Yes the DV29's HDMI outputs mulltichannel audio with the video as apposed to the DV79's video only

3. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DV79 on trial for the weekend...

When properly configured (e.g. Audio Setup set to Stereo PCM) as per Page E-15 of the manual you get 2 channel sound.

If you select bitstream you need a TV or Media box with decoding capabilities, like Dolby digital. I do not know of any amp or receiver with HDMI input, but they will soon appear...
    And the DV79 IS READY!!

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I am afraid you are incorrect there, the DV79 will only output 2 channel audio via its HDMI connection. If you want multichannel audio from the HDMI connection you need the DV29 and a suitable AV amp or processor with HDMI inputs.

5. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mr. Crustyloafer
    How can I be incorrect since you say the same thing as I did?. Currently I do not know of any receiver that takes HDMI input. Maybe my English is not as perfect as yours, but I am no native English speaker and what is written cannot be interpreted in more than one way..

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I think Crusty had picked up on you last comment "the DV79 is ready" its only ready for 2 channel sound it will not support multi-channel via HDMI ever regardless of whether the processor/amp does.(I believe the DV79 follows ver 1.0 of the HDMI spec whereas the DV29 follows version 1.1 which allows for video and upto 8 channels of audio through the HDMI connection).

Regards

Matt

7. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm deciding on an arcam DVD player. To clarify on the HDMI audio issue:

If I have the DV79 HDMI output inputting to my plasma directly then it'll only give 2 channel stereo sound through the screen right?

And if I want full surround, then the DV79 will have to output audio to the amp through a different connection?

Is this correct?

Thanks

8. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yup! :smashin:

9. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Henry :)

10. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have DV79 connected with 10 metre HDMI cable to Infocus 7205 with surround sound via AVR300. Result is superb PQ and excellent sound. Why should I be concerned, therefore, that the DV79 HDMI spec only allows two-channel sound? is there something I should be paranoid about out there and hadn't realised it!

11. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I reckon it's just the industry -- which naturally wants us to buy more kit -- trying to make us more paranoid about missing the next big thing.

12. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    A quote from Home Cinema magazines group test of 5 British DVD players:

"We've not been that impressed with the HDMI players we've heard using the link for multichannel audi, so it's good that Arcam (DV29) has high grade analogue output for the old six cable hookup"

Has anybody out there actualy heard multichannel audio via HDMI? I know the AVP700 demo at the Bristol show did not use the connection for audio (the DV79 does not have the facility).