1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DVD players have the Chroma Bug?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdbrowser.com, Jul 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do the Dv88 and the FMJ player have this so called 'chroma bug'.

I'm looking for a good dvd player and from what i've read on the AVS Forum some manufacturers are beginning to listen. Hopefully Arcam are listening.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
  3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Sorry I don't. I'm sure John Dawson will be able to enlighten us at some point.

Gordon

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If I remember correctly it uses a Zoran decoder.

Wasn't that the name of the company in A View to a Kill?

Jeff

5. arb

arb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It uses the Zoran chip.
    According to the page below all players
    with Zoran chips have the bug.
    hometheaterhifi

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I'm going to regret this (this is how I start emails to a colleague that I occasionaly question - but who's always correct), but I believe they do.
    :eek:

From memory (and having just watched Memento I know how dangerous that is) I thought that John Dawson had said that it did have the bug, but that visual checking revealed that its effect was very small on the Arcams. Apologies to John in advance if I have mis-represented what he did say and I look forward to his clarification/correction.

Cheers,
    Liam

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
  8. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the FMJ 27 at present. It has the Chroma Bug but it is nigh on impossible to see when viewing a 120inch Image. I would be surprised if it could be seen on a standard TV.

Note that this is through both the Progressive and Interlaced Outputs.

I would expect the DV88 with Prog Scan board to be the same.

Regards Neil.

[ 03-07-2001: Message edited by: Jenz ]

9. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is this chroma bug?

10. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I knew I could rely on the group to sort most of this out amongst itself and provide a sensible view of the magnitude of the chroma upsampling issue in so far as it affects Arcam's players :)

The so called chroma upsampling bug is caused by a combination of improper disc mastering, whereby the chroma going onto a DVD is not properly filtered at the recording stage, combining with the necessary upsampling of the 4:2:0 video recorded on a DVD back to 4:2:2 chroma inside the DVD player. In many MPEG decoders this can provide streaky black lines in certain parts of the final image, particularly where there is heavy colour saturation.

If this information has seemed a bit technical wait till you read the full monty at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html :)
    This is a very thorough and well researched report, but be careful not to believe all they say, as certain of its ideas are not correct.

The decoder chipset Arcam uses has this bug, albeit to a relatively minor degree - frankly it is hard to see in normal viewing, even with an excellent projector. It is a hardware issue, buried deep inside the main decoder chip, so is not amenable to a quick fix. To anyone considering buying a decent player I would suggest you view the unit for yourself to see if this kind of artifact annoys you and make your choice accordingly. Most players on the market exhibit this issue to some extent and to my mind it is a commentary on its relative significance in the scheme of things to note that it wasn't even reported until the past year or so, although it had always been there with the improperly mastered discs. There are many many things that go to make up a good or bad DVD player, of which this is only one.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

11. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, do you know if it uses the Panasonic Mpeg2 decoder?

12. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to further John's claim I would like to mention that he did in fact come to my house to see the FMJ27 on my setup.

We tried desperately to see the Chroma Bug on both The Fifth Element and Toy Story to no avail. Image size was around 8ft at the time.

Jenz.

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well, my screen is only a 32" widescreen, so not quite the 8' behemoth mentioned earlier. However I cannot see evidence of the bug in picture. I have Toy Story and 5th Element and using the examples in the article linked by john Dawson, cannot notice a problem with the DV88.

I have posted on this topic before with reference to this player and will say the same thing again. Don't get caught up in the hype of this bug, just because someone says something is there, that doesn't make it a problem. But don't take my word for it, let your eyes be the judge. Get demos of the players you are thinking of buying, forget everything posted here regarding picture and sound quality. Let your own eyes and ears be the judge, that is the only way you will end you will end up with a product with which you are 100% delighted.

All the best now, happy hunting.