Arcam DVD/CD Player – best practice preventative maintenance

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lpm, May 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. lpm

lpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Before anyone wonders, the reason I’ve raised this in the Arcam rather than a more general forum is that whilst I’ve searched many threads on appropriate forums, and Internet in general, I’ve found that most advice when skipping, freezing or other issues emerge is rather fatalistic and along the lines of yes, you have a big problem and if a Lens cleaner doesn’t work and you don’t wish to try adjusting or replacing the laser yourself, the most cost effective thing is generally to replace the player. Fine for cheap kit but I love my Arcam players and the dealer will certainly asked to repair them if the worst happens.

However, whilst I don’t have a current problem (though I do own one delaminating DVD that freezes badly), all I really do currently is store and handle my DVD/CDs carefully. So what would people recommend (if anything) to maximise the lens/laser life of my CD36 and DV78. Should I use a lens cleaner routinely and what type? Would that sit well with Arcam? Alternatively, should I take it into the dealer to check/clean it routinely or would this be a pointless overkill? Is there a maintenance menu item in the DV78 to recalibrate the laser such as reportedly exists in some Sony models? As to the CD/DVDs themselves, what cleaning solutions, cloths or surface reconditioning (if any) is recommended?

I am assuming in all of this that software (where appropriate) is up to date. Thoughts anyone?

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I use a lens cleaning disc once per month, at least that that helps to rule out a build up of dust/debris if something goes wrong.

3. lpm

lpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Crusty,

Thanks. That's one vote for routine lens maintenance. Do you ever clean the CD/DVDs?:)

4. Mario Nicholas

Mario Nicholas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Blockbuster rentals usually look as if they were used my someone that was eating fish and chips whilst handling them. They get a clean with my glasses spray before use as the grease and dust will only end up in the player.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Yes, I always keep my discs in tip top condition and remove any dust from them before they go in to any machine. Prevention as better than cure, always.

6. Playitloud

Playitloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Crusty,

Which lens cleaning system do you use? I have tried to purchase an 'Allsop Ultra Pro Lens Cleaner' with no luck whatsoever here in the UK !!:(

This would be for Arcan 8SE CD player and Pioneer DVD player :)oops: still saving for Arcam DVD!!)

Regards

7. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Try to keep the player in a clean environment.

This means don't smoke in the same room, this is one of the worst things for fogging lenses.

Also try to avoid any area that is likely to have cooking in it as the airborne oil particles from grilling and frying are also likely to contaminate the lense.

Don't spray polish near the player as again this could get on the lens.

Heat tends to age all electronics so keep the product as cool as practical. It is best not to put it in a rack with a power amplifer at the bottom cooking all the products above it. If this is your configuration try to make sure air can flow easly over the amp and that the shelves are widly spaced to give the maximum insulation from the heat.

Generally if you want the maximum life from your products I would suggest turing it off when you are not using it (its also environmentaly sensible), however of course this does not give you the best sound quality as fast as possible.

Regards,
    Andrew

8. Playitloud

Playitloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Andy,

Does this mean you do not recommend lens cleaners?

9. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    We don't recomend them as the Laser lense is acrilic and we have seen the brushes on some of them scratch the lens. However this is not to say they are all bad just that I can't guarantee any paticular one one will not cause more harm than good.

Regards,
    Andrew

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I use the Allsop CD Pro Lens Cleaner. It can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allsop-Cd-P...0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1178198103&sr=8-2

Regards

Chris.

11. lpm

lpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks to all for the comments so far, great food for thought. The ‘glasses spray’ sounds like a good idea for cleaning the CD/DVDs themselves. I’m a little wary of the claims for some of the special ‘cleaning and treatment’ solutions that I’ve seen in the shops and have only used a touch of soap and filtered water in the past if the disk was actually dirty but I’d be interested if people have found any worthwhile.

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    For cleaning the discs themselves then you can't beat the Milty Permaclean kit. It is a spray on acohol solution with a two sided felt pad designed for cleaning both records and CDs and does so brilliantly.

13. ajhavf

ajhavf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your sensible advice Andrew.

I used high purity isopropyl alcohol solution and a cotton swap to clean my CD23T lens. As the lens is acrylic I'm wondering if this is potentially harmful to the lens, does somebody know about this situation ?

14. mcguiganp

mcguiganp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Hi Andy,

Having worked in the electronics manufacturing side of things for many years I always understood thermal cycles rather than constant usage to be the killer of electronic components, especially IC's. Indeed this is what many of the component manufacturers themselves used to say. Environment wise I can't argue with you but I would argue that leaving your equipment constantly powered on will if anything give you a slightly longer life than by turning it off and on and inducing those dreaded thermal cycles on all those lovely op-amps and ic's ;)

Just my tuppenceworth.

15. ajhavf

ajhavf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm interested in this too, I have always left my preamp and CD player ON. I also subscribe to the thermal cycle theory and suspect it's a matter of how frequently you use the components, for me that is at least two periods daily. Those who use the components once or twice weekly may have the "turn off" advantage.