Arcam DV89

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sdh500, May 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still waiting for my Arcam DV89 having ordered it over a week ago (originally told it'd take only a couple of days). My dealer tells me Arcam are experiencing problems with new batches of both this player and the DV88+. No specifics but I was told it'd arrive in store by Wednesday next week (maybe). I'm sure this means Arcam are just ironing out any rough spots and honing it to perfection but I can't help wondering if it's anything serious. Couldn't get anyone on the phone at Arcam so thought I'd try here. Anyone heard anything?

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    No nothing serious or fundamental - just awaiting delivery of certain assembled circuit boards from our main sub contractor. They are working on it as I write :)

We expect to be building these and DV88 Pluses next week.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, John. That's reassuring!

4. Pete Ear

Pete Ear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know the firm RRP for the DV89?

Also, is the ONLY difference between this and the DV88 Plus, the DVD-A capability or has some other areas been tweaked as well?

5. NedK

NedK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And if the only difference is the DVD-A board, how come they can't offer a DV88 to DV88+ upgrade? Not enough profit in it for them?

I believe the firm RRP is £1300 btw.

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know how much will the upgrade from the original DV88 to the DV89 will cost and when can it be done (I asked the portuguese importer and they said that it would be only in August).
    Thanks.

7. NedK

NedK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was quoted £650 by Arcam tech support. They said the upgrades would be available "within 2 weeks" - that was on May 2nd, so theoretically it should be available now.

8. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 88+ has Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround decoders for DVD-Video - the 89 does.

9. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my DV89 about 4 weeks ago now :cool:, and after some fun and games with setup (my lack of knowledge) its all working fine - in fact brilliantly. I had to wait about 6 weeks for mine - ordered just after the Bristol show, but it was well worth the wait. As for the RRP I think its £1300 but got mine from 7Oaks for £1200 which I think is the norm.

If you haven't already done so get a couple of DVD-A on order, and also dust off all those old CDs you've forgotten about, I don't think I've ever listened to soooo much music. Oh and DVDs are pretty cool too :p

10. Linken

Linken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with my DV89 !!!
    I get no sound when playing a DTS disc and having my AVR200 in Ext 5.1 mode but it works when a set my AVR200 in DVD mode.
    It seems to work when playing a disc with Dolby Digital and the AVR in Ext 5.1.

Whats the problem ?
    Have the DV89 a DTS decoder ?