Arcam DV89 for CRT TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rolo Tomasi, Apr 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm thinking of upgrading my dvd player for use with a Sony 32'' CRT TV via RGB scart. I've noticed a rather good offer (£599) on the Arcam DV89. Is this OTT for my needs?

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you dont mind or are use to the layer change and you dont mind the odd disk not working, then go for it.

I brought one to replace my denon 2200 and the PQ is better and the SQ is loads better.
    And of course it looks nice IMO.

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply Chris.

When you say SQ was better, was this for dvd soundtracks or cd replay (I have a Rotel cd player for music duties)? I was hoping that dvd-v SQ as well as PQ would improve with the upgrade.

Also, my dvds are exclusively region 2. Are there any 'problem' discs that I should be wary of? What are the problems?

Thanks.

4. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rolo

I've got a DV89 connected to my Loewe Aconda CRT TV, and it's fantastic, PQ is great. SQ is fantastic especially when playing CDs / DVDAs through the analogue outs. I've only got an AVR100 but it sounds great. As for the disks, I've never had a problem with any disk not playing, thats goes for CDs, DVDs and DVDAs. I play quite alot, and hire quite a few too.

It's also a massive bargain at 599, I'd definately go for it

Giles

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    DVD's for me sound the same, as i use digital coax so this is all prossesed by my 3803.
    But the Analouge sound is superb, alot better from the denon with either analouge or digital.
    So far i have found that it wont play my misses celine dion SACD, but that might be the disk......it says Stereo but i dont think it is compatable with the player and also disneys Treasure planet R2, it wont play the english version......... not a big prob, but you do get a couple of russian sub titles.
    Have not had time to try my other disk's yet.