Arcam DV89 and DVD-A

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Merritt, Jul 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im looking at buying one of these (DV89) machines tomorrow and just have a quick question.

I have my current dvd player connected to my AVC11SR amp via digital optical connection only. If I want to listen to DVD-A on the DV89, do I need any additional cables or will the digital optical link suffice?

Cheers

Steve

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    You'll need a 6 channel hook up for true DVD-A. Do you have any discs you want to listen to that much?

3. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nope - I don't currently have any discs but seeing as the 'feature' is there I thought I might try it... Is it worth spending some cash on the cables just for DVA? I assume Im still ok using digital optical for everything else?

Cheers

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    There is absolutely no point in buying any DVD-A titles unless you plan to listen to the high resolution audio. You can also take it from that comment that it is worth doing and worth doing well. I currently have my DV89 hooked up to the multi channel inputs on my AX3 with three pairs of Black Rhodium Rhythm interconnects which I bleieve a a suitable mimimum level of cable inorder to hear the benefits of this source. Do be aware though that although there are a fairly large number of discs available not all of them are created equal. I currently have about 35 DVD-A titles and am fairly happy with most of them, if need any recommendations then let me know.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    It's got to be worth a few cables given that your system has the functionality.

I hope you've got a good price on the DV89. I'm picking one up for £599. PM if me if you need details (as I may not check here).

6. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Crustyloafer - thanks for the comments & yes I am definitely interested in your DVD-A recommendations please!

Triggaar - im hopefully picking it up today for £599 but thanks anyway. Actually you just got me thinking - I hope that includes VAT!

Cheers

Steve

7. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo there,

DVD-a is well worth the extra 6 analogue cables. In all honesty once you start listening to good dvd-a you'll be hooked, it's as crisp as a packet of walkers.

A couple of good dvd-a titles that I can recommend are

The Eagles - Hell freezes over
    Norah Jones - Live in New orleans
    John Lennon - Best of (I Think)
    Queen - Greatest hits 1 + 2

Al lthe above are really fantastic with the best of the sound going to the eagles album, it's a live album but tis probably 1 of the best live albums I've ever heard. All except Norah jones are in DTS.

1 thing though if you do get the cables.

You'll most likely need to turn the bass level on your AMP up to +10 to get the bass sounding good. On my Ax5 I have the sub set @ +10 for my multi channel inupts. If I set it any lower there bass is inaudible.

It took me about a week to figure that one out. I was very disspointed at first as the top end was stunning but bass was nowhere to be heard. Once I had made my adjustments though I was in audio heaven.

Oh and get good cables, for value for money and just damned good cables, try Mark Grants cables which you'll find in the powerbuys forum.

I highly recommend then :)

Davey

8. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely apart from nora jones the others are music dvds not dvd-a, i have only got 5 dvd-a titles can recomend hotel california eagles, also tubular bells is quite good even though its not recorded at full resolution

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Just to make you aware hi-robb, nonoe of the titles you listed are actually DVD-A titles, they are Music DVD video titles with either Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks on them. THe Queen ones you mentioned have a DTS 96/24 soundtrack which is higher resolution than most and it sounds great, however the fidelity of those still doesn't come close to the quality you get from proper DVD-Audio titles which have an MLP lossless compression soundtrack on them. If you or anybody else need to find out more about the DVD Audio format then the link below should help.

DVD Audio FAQs

There are a couple of website which review DVD-Audio titles, the links to them are below

High Fidelity Review

Audio Revolution

My favourite discs so far are listed below:

Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
    Eagles: Hotel California
    Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
    Eric Clapton & B.B. King: Riding With The King
    Steely Dan: Everything Must Go
    Donald Fagen: The Nightfly
    Steely Dan: Two Against Nature
    Joni Mitchell: Both Sides Now
    REM: Automatic For The People
    Randy Newman: Little Criminals

10. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also if you like yes fragile is quite good as is brain salad surgery by emerson lake & palmer