Arcam DV88plus CD performance

sr78

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need to upgrade both my CD player and DVD player. I had discarded the idea of buying an all in one machine, until I heard about the Arcam DV88plus. It's rumoured to have pretty good CD performance. Since I was thinking in terms of a CD72 or 82, and a DVD player like the Pioneer 656, I was wondering if it would be a better move to take the DV88+. Anyone know how it performs with CDs?

I just got one of these last week and it sounds great(To me) with cd's. It blows away my old Sony stereo that i was using before. best advice is to go and demo it with some of your favourite DVDs and CDs.

John.

Yup I'd go along with that it's certainly the best CD player I have ever owned. I don't have a really high-end system or bionic ears but it's loads better than my previous "Audiophile" DVD player the Sony DVP-S7700. Like John said, go and demo one I think you'll be pleased.

I recently demoed it against the Denon 3800 , the Denon was the best to my ears, better picture as well.

It's pretty spot on for CD-Audio performance. I'm still waiting for the DVD-Audio board to come out.

JON

Has anyone compared the DV88+ directly with Arcams DiVA CD players? Since my dealer probably doesn't have an 88+ yet (I live in Holland), I'm very curious to hear how it compares to the CD82.

I'd also be interested to hear from JD how he rates the to when it comes to CD playback. I'm convinced of the DVD qualities, but if it's good with DVDs and only marginal with CDs, I'd be cheaper and possibly better off getting for instance an NAD 541i or Marantz CD6000KI and a good DVD player like the Pioneer 656.

In my opinion the DV88 Plus is better as a CD player than an Arcam CD72 (which is a very highly regarded unit, multiple Award winner etc) and not quite as good as the CD82. It is the first DiVA DVD player that I am really happy to use at home as a CD player, which suits my wife as it saves a box on the hi-fi stack.

John Dawson (Arcam)

I have to agree I am chuffed to bits with the sound (both CD and Movies) which are coming from my DV88Plus... How much better over my original DV88 is too hard to say as Its been a couple of weeks (stuck with using a PS2) since I last heard it.

On a seperate note the whole players menu structure and software seem much better that the originals!

Matt

Originally posted by John Dawson
In my opinion the DV88 Plus is better as a CD player than an Arcam CD72 (which is a very highly regarded unit, multiple Award winner etc) and not quite as good as the CD82. It is the first DiVA DVD player that I am really happy to use at home as a CD player, which suits my wife as it saves a box on the hi-fi stack.

John Dawson (Arcam)

This sounds very good. I have a DV88 with an LO drive, IIRC. John, how would you rank this against the DIVA CD range?

Can the CD replay of the DV88 (at least in theory) be upgraded to DV88plus spec? Could this be done as part of complete overhaul including the latest LT drive? I think I may come across more copy protected "CDs" and wouldn't mind the drive being a little quieter. Can the DV88 go Vadis 5 as well?

If the price for some of these together were reasonable (less than, say, £600) I would definitely be interested.

Thanks,

Charles.

Bailey..

I had a DV88... went back to Arcam on a warranty issue..and at the same time I had the machine completely upgraded to DV88 Plus Spec.. So yes is the answer to all your questions..

Matt

Originally posted by Matt Horne
Bailey..

I had a DV88... went back to Arcam on a warranty issue..and at the same time I had the machine completely upgraded to DV88 Plus Spec.. So yes is the answer to all your questions..

Matt

its widely known that Arcam make s**t hot hi fi and home theatre gear and upgrading is another great reason for buying it.
Can i ask what this cost you as i am sure other owners would like to upgrade as well?

bob::cool:

Ok...

I paid £400 for the upgrade.. the drive was replaced under warranty.

Dead impressed with the entire service through Arcam..glad I bought the machine.. Now I just need a week off work to spend time putting it through its paces!!

Highly recommended.. now wheres that prog scan telly!

Cheers

Matt

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom