1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arcam DV88P Vs Arcam dv79

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Twan1, Dec 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hiya all,

thinking of upgrading my dv88 (with the prog scan upgrade) to the new arcam dv79. Will be getting a High Definition Plasam later this year but for now will just carry on usuing component.

Is the DV79 an impovement over the dv88p on the component side or only when used with hdmi??

Would love to hear your input :lease: , thanks all.....

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a DV88 Plus that has also been modified with the PS upgrade. The upgrade on our players adds the Silicon Image SiI504 (or 503 that is virtually the same) deinterlacer, which is one of the very best available. The DV79 uses the Zoran Vaddis 5 chipset to handle deinterlacing, and is generally not considered as good by reviewers and users.

I have a HDMI capable display (Samsung DLP) and wondered if the DV79 with HDMI would be an improvement over my DV88 Plus/504 using component. So I borrowed a DV79 and a good HDMI cable from my dealer and compared the two over the course of a weekend. I even had 2 copies of several DVDs so I could queue them up together on both players and switch between them to compare video performance.

I also spent some time just watching a single player for extended periods. In the end, I considered it inconclusive for the most part, but gave the DV88 Plus/504 the slight edge. I kept going back to the DV88 Plus when I wanted to just sit and enjoy a movie.

In any case I saw no improvement that would warrant trading my DV88 Plus to a DV79. But that's just me. Other's might see it differently, so I really encourage you to demo a DV79 and judge for yourself.

Dean

3. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    dean,

Thanks for your comments, i've now decided that i am going to keep my existing player and have it sdi modified by elliot (PJ HIFI) so i can run it into an external scaler like the lumagen hdp.

One thing though, not sure if its my plasma or my dvd player but have you ever noticed what i can only say is some sort of blocky movement before on dark pictures? i noticed in while watching disney's Tarzan on some of the gorillas??? and if so do you think the lumagen can sort that out?

Thanks

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't say. I don't have that problem on my DLP. Maybe you should try a better cable. I use a Transparent Audio Premium Component.

Dean

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sounds a bit like macroblocking.

You could see what you are seeing for a variety of reasons. Poorly encoded disc (if everybody is seeing it) , player introducing it or plasma doing it.