Arcam DV88

gilesm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Been looking to replace my aging Panasonic A160 for a while. I bought an Arcam AV100 a while ago and had a demo of DV88 at the same time just blew me away thought it was fantastic.

What's anyone else think of it?

Also I understand that they'll be an upgrade to DVD-Audio soon (although that was 6 months ago and its still not out), do reckon its worth getting it then upgrdaing later or waiting until they bring a new one out - if they're going to?

Thanks

There are quite a few happy DV88 owners (and FMJ27 ;-) out there in the forum who are generally still very impressed with the player ...

and there are a few posters that think that the DV88 is overpriced compared to the wider-brand competition, but there aren't too many reports of a shootout !!

The AVR100/DV88 is a great combo but could get pricey if you decide you want the progressive scan upgrade later (if you get a plasma/projector) as well as the DVD-A ...

I don't know if the DV88 will ship with the DVD-A card fitted in a model overhaul ... maybe John Dawson (Arcam MD and welcome contributor to these forums) will have a few words to say about how soon now and how much ??

How about it John ?

rgds

Jon

Originally posted by jont
and there are a few posters that think that the DV88 is overpriced compared to the wider-brand competition, but there aren't too many reports of a shootout !!

O.K. Coral :D
DV-88 isn't such bad value it should be shot........but things move on, is it really worth £1000 September 2002.

I have the DV88 and I am very pleased with it....CD replay was a priority for me and I wanted a one-box-do-it-all type machine without sacrificing CD too much. The DV88 fitted the bill and was happy to pay for it (I actually paid less because I have used my Arcam dealer for many years). I also believe that the type of support offered by arcam and the fact that I could upgrade elements of the player as and when I needed them (i.e. prog scan and DVDA) added a lot of value to the player.

You could always try and get one second hand as they can be had for £500-£700 on places like ebay. Some are even 3-6 months old!!!

I agree £1000 is a lot of money, especially as the tosh900 can be had for £700 now and the new denon 3800 is £1000, both offer arguably better performace for PQ and include prog scan/DVDA out of the box.

The choice is yours....;)

JJ

Another very content DV88 owner here.

I think with firmware upgrades available and Arcam support as mentioned before, this player (and certainly the FMJ) are still very serious contenders.

Once I had my pj installed I had the opportunity to have the prog scan board fitted - no regrets there either :)

Regards

Hi
I've had my dv88 about 3 months in fact the wife's playing a cd at the moment got it for the music side but the dvd is also just as good, just dithering on getting the ps module as every time I play a dvd I say to myself the picture can't get better than this...can it??

Depends on what display size you have, tv - then maybe not so noticeable, plasma or projector - then from experience I'd say yes

HTH

We all spoke a day too soon !!

see announcement in other thread ... about new dv88 plus ... that'll be the one to go for !!

Yeah, wish I had waited to buy one as the updates + prog scan for the old price looks pretty good value...

JJ

Thanks for all the replies, yeah I'd seen the new thread last night, I think you're right - this is the one to go for, however still no DVD Audio.

Think I'm going to wait and go and see Arcam at Stuff Live next month, maybe able to find out a few more of their plans.

cheers

Another happy DV88, although only had it for 5 weeks. Bought 2nd hand fairly cheaply (so didn't cost me much more than the Pioneer 737, which I loved)

How much is the NTSC and PAL progressive upgrade?

£350 at the moment....but maybe this will drop once the dv88+ comes out...

JJ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom