1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV88

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt F, Jan 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm quite tempted by this player but I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm aware of the code you tap in to play the different region DVDs but do you need to select 01 or 02 for Region 1 or 2 each time or can you just leave the player set to 13 so that it automatically makes the selection for you?

2. Have all the software bugs pretty much been ironed out? I'm not referring to anything in particular - I'm just aware that there have been a few problems with it since it was launched.

Finally, there do seem to be a couple of other "musically-biased" (i.e. good with CDs) players in this price range - namely the Roksan and Myryad DVD players. If anyone has any opinions of these then please comment.

Thank you.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi...

I have had the player since last feb.. I am on ver 1.76,

other than the odd problem (not being able to fast forward/pause on some movies) I have had not problems or dropouts (my original player had loads of issues until it had the 1.74 firmware upgrade - that got stolen though).

The latest firmware makes it even better with the remote codes now working for any universal remote.

It sounds great and looks amazing...Now onto your questions :

1. Yep set the code to 13 at it will play anything full stop. Never had any problems with any RCE discs etc etc. I've prettty much forgotten about the regions altogether

2. I think they have, none of my discs have ever not worked.. anyhow its so easy to get the player updated that god forbid you find one slam in a new firmware CD and bobs your uncle!

Initially when I bought this player I was very unhappy with all of the problems with dropped sound etc I seemed to be having, but now

:D I am well chuffed... Worth every penny (and its upgradeable too...)

Matt

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hunt out Alanrob in the for sale forum. He has one for sale. Very good price.

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one for a month and ended up returning it (less than a week ago). There are definitely still some bugs present; and this is after five firmware revisions. I had numerous problems with DTS soundtracks (dropouts) as well as navigation problems with discs refusing to stop or pause while playing, and video problems after prolonged playback (heat related I imagine). The player's inability to stop while in a disc's menu was also quite aggravating.

If you're lucky you will avoid the worst of these problems, but some are known problems and you will simply have to learn to live with them. Picture and audio quality are outstanding, but the player just had too many quirks to remain in my system. YMMV. My player's firmware was 1.74.

Adam

5. LeighM

LeighM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine for about 5 months now, I had a lot of hardware problems at first, the first time the drive was very noisey so I got a brand new machine, then the picture and sound kept stoping for a second every so often so Arcam replaced the drive, then I got a very noisey drive so Arcam replaced the drive motor. Don't let this put you off though, the DV88 is a stunning machine and I couldn't be happier now. The picture quality is amazing. There are still a couple of problems with things refusing to stop/ fast forward etc but these happen very rarely.

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Well.. I have had no hardware issues at all.. nor had any dropouts (and I also use the DTS soundtrack...)

Guess I have been very lucky...

Matt

7. damieng

damieng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture and sound quality are superb on the DV88.

Those people reporting sound drop-out tend to be using Yamaha amps (specifically DSP-A1 series) so bear that in mind if you own one.

As at the latest firmware the only disc I am aware of that will not play at all on Region 2 is the third disc on the Toy Story boxed set. It also doesn't play on the PlayStation 2 and a number of other machines and has been acknowledged as an authoring problem I believe.

The region 13 code hack has handled every one of my 250 titles (~280 discs) which include a mix of R0/NTSC, R1/NTSC, R2/PAL discs.

I maintain an FAQ that may be of interest to you at http://www.envytech.co.uk/dv88

[)amien

8. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a DV88 since March. I had problems with DTS dropouts, so in June I had it changed for another. The new one is also giving me grief. I am getting sound and pictures pauses/dropouts on R1 discs in both DTS and DD. I'm currently in contact with John Dawson to try a resolve this.

Funnily enough I recently received an email from a guy who just had a DV88 installed by a well known hifi chain in the south east, when he went to fill in the registration card it had my name on it....it seems the shop sold him my old player as new.....:eek:

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Now that is very naughty.
    Some big retail chains were fined very heavily in the past for those pratices.
    Very bad indeed.
    I'd report that one to Arcam. It needs to be nipped in the bud right away.