1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV88 vs FMJ DV27

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tracey, Jul 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I finally had a demo on Saturday, I wanted to compare CD playback only and I demoed them with the following:
    Arcam AVR100 AV receiver
    Mission 781 speakers on Mission Stance stands
    Chord Siren interconnect

First we listened to the DV88, it sounded very good, as you'd expect from Arcam it had a lovely midrange and treble, not at all harsh, the bass response was also good, it was a very nice CD player, far better than most DVD players can mangage.

Then we changed to the FMJ DV27 and immediately I was impressed, bass response was excellent, much fuller and the soundstage was huge compared to the DV88, whereas before I could tell it was coming out of the two speakers in front of me, now the sound was all around me, there really was no comparison, I could have sat there and listened to it all day!

So, I now have a black model on order and I should have it by the end of August, (can't wait), I even splashed out on a Chord Chorus interconnect (£154 for 0.5m) naughty me!

So my advice to anyone who can't make up their mind about the two models is to audition, but if you can't afford £1600 don't even listen to the DV27, you'll want one!

Tracey

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news Tracey. I actually traded in my month old DV88 for a silver DV27 last Thurs. My pre/pro is in for an upgrade so I haven't been able to listen to it. My pre/pro will have Burr-Brown 1732 DACs and I'll be curious to hook up a digital coax and some analog interconnects and compare the Wolfson and Burr-Brown DACs in the two pieces. As always it should be fun.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you don't have the need for pro-san though, i.e. anyone with a normal TV, not PDP or projector, and you are not bothered about Cd playback then the DV88 is the best bet. Especially as it has the same outgrade options as the FMJ DV27.