Arcam DV88 Vs Denon 2800II Side by Side review, My thoughts.

Timh

Distinguished Member
Gary

Panasonic have a new player out soon, the DVDS75EBS which does progressive scan and DVD-Audio, no pal prog as yet though :(
CLICK

T

tipicus

Originally posted by camlogan
I think that software version 3 will fix the dts dropout issue for you on the dv88+.

thanks

CaM

Hmmm, not on mine it doesn't.

I'm afraid I'm about to give up on the DV88+ :(

I'm on my third one since January now and have experienced a myriad of problems ranging from a faulty power switch, DTS and DD audio dropout, the screensaver flickering on and off on DVD menus, pressing the next chapter button intermittently taking you back a chapter etc etc.

The current player still exhibits audio dropouts despite being completely up to date on the firmware front, intermittently misses the first second or so of audio on disks (most noticeable on the Avengers DVDs for some reason), has a terrible layer change complete with yet another audio dropout and, to top things off, has developed a seriously annoying rattle when a disc is playing.

Incidentally, none of the three players will decode DTS audio when in CD mode, either with commercial or home made DTS CDs - something that Arcam's tech support guys have failed to even acknowledge, despite repeated emails. The older Pioneer and Toshiba players I've still got have no trouble doing this.

So, I'm almost certainly at the end of my tether with it. One faulty machine I can accept, maybe two, but to have so much trouble with the third one is just stretching things a bit too far! Think it's back to the shop for me :(

Blimey, I've just read that back to myself and it sounds like a complete rant! To balance things up I must point out that I also have Arcam amps and CD players and have nothing but praise for them :)

R

ricdiggle

Just got my first ever DTS CD. My DV88 plays it just fine. I don't think the DV88 (plus or normal) can decode any signal (DTS or DD) It merely passes the signal onto a suitable amp for decoding.

Mine has been faultless since day one. I very occasionally get DTS dropout on a few films but that's it.

Try another one, go on, you know you want to.

Richard

T

tipicus

Originally posted by ricdiggle
Just got my first ever DTS CD. My DV88 plays it just fine. I don't think the DV88 (plus or normal) can decode any signal (DTS or DD) It merely passes the signal onto a suitable amp for decoding.[/b

True enough. In which case the Arcam is not passing the DTS signal to the amp when playing CDs with DTS tracks on them.

Mine has been faultless since day one. I very occasionally get DTS dropout on a few films but that's it.

It's not faultless then is it! :D

Try another one, go on, you know you want to.

That's the problem. I'm tired of trying another one only to be let down again. I think I'd be able to rationalise it better if it was the same fault each time, but the fact that there have been so many different problems really makes me question the robustness of the product.

Mark.

R

ricdiggle

Of Course it's faultless! DTS Dropout is a quibble, a quirky quality.

I very much see your reason for changing actually. My old Denon 2800 was a disaster area. There were at least 10 things wrong with it and I kept it less than 5 days before going for the Arcam.

Richard

tonymccandless

Havign shelled out for 433MXE and worked out cabling I went looking for Pal prog. DVD.

Was thinking of 757 but apparently not Pal prog yet. 7Oaks have offer on 2800 and I order one then come home to look it up on forum. DOH !!!!

Will be taking in prints of threads and testing it on their plasma next week.

Given it is unlikely to do well what is the recommendation ?

Bear in mind 7Oaks doing 2800 for £499.

All feedback gratefully received.

Cheers

R

ricdiggle

Check the model as my 7Oaks are doing the Mk2 2800 for the same money.

Still just as bad from all I've read but my ols Mk1 was awesome when it worked properly and there are plenty of very happy Mk2 owners out there. Uncle Eric has one in his front room for instance and swears he's never had a moments trouble with it.

Richard

R

ricdiggle

My old Tosh SD2109 never experienced problems with DTS dropout. Then again, it didn't sound like the DV88 does in DTS mode either. The step up in performance in quite incredible even for the 4 times increased priced tag.
For the money, nothing I've ever tried sounded even close to the DV88 with CD or DVD playback. Very rare DTS dropout is therefore more than acceptable to me. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it didn't do it but until something better comes along for the money, I'm a happy bunny.

Richard

dts_boy

i am sure its a software thing, i have been suffering dts dopiuts on my dv27 (runs the same software as the dv88+) and updated the software - no more dts dropouts!

K

Klop

I've also experienced loads of both DD and DTS dropouts with my DV88 Plus. But since upgrading the firmware to version 3.0.0 the frequency of the dropouts has decreased big-time. BUT unfortunately they are still not gone - it's kind of acceptable for me, but I'm not happy.

I haven't upgraded the drive firmware - it's still L75. Anybody knows if upgrading to the newest version L76 will fix the few remaining dropouts. It's properly a long shot, but everything else with this player beats all other players I have tried except for the dropouts. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom