Arcam DV88 versus FMJ DV27

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simoncope, Aug 7, 2001.

Tags:
  1. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody else apart from us done an objective A-B comparison on these two machines yet? I am talking about audio output quality, and interlaced component video output. Like Gordon, we were under the impression that these two machines were virtually identical, apart from the addition of NTSC de-interlacing on the DV27.... but there's more to it than just that, I promise you!

2. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There was a discussion here not too long ago (apears to have now been deleted), comparing the Arcam FMJ DV27 to the FMJ CD23 for the purposes of CD replay that appeared to indicate that the DV27 did a very respectable job of replaying CDs - not quite a CD23, but comparible to something like the old Alpha 9.

So what was your conclusion from comparing the DV88 and DV23? I'm possible interested in the DV27 in the medium to long term - I'm, after a DVD player that is excellent with CD.

I currently have a CD Recorder (Marantz DR6000) + an old Sony DVPS 715 attached to my Arcam Alpha 10 / DAVE setup. I don't really want a DVD Player + CD Player + CD Recorder (too much shelf space), hence combining the DVD and CD player is desirable - although I'm not willing to compromise CD replay (too much) to achieve this.

I was planning on making my move for my next birthday - although this is next May, so it won't be for a while!

Did you once go under the name of Uxbridge Audio? If so I bought a pair of speakers from the Uxbridge shop in the distant past (1991).

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Simon: Sorry haven't had the chance to do an A-B test yet, I have been out installing too much, doing a Cine6 based cinema at the moment. I will do a DV88/27 test when we get outr new PDP in.

PeteM: Yes Simon works for what was the effectively UxA, but the shop in Ux has now gona and they are in Beaconsfield now, next door to the Fish n chip shop.

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: ReTrO ]</p>

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,058
    PeteM: I was working at Ux Audio then... left in 94 to return to Glasgow.

Simon: I did a quick comparison at 5.30 this evening. Results were interesting....Need to check them with new stock units...more later.

Gordon

5. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PeteM - Haven't actually compared analogue audio out on CD replay yet. Karl, the shop manager here in Chiswick, has, and he says the DV27 is excellent compared with the DV88.

Digital audio out on the DV27 is vastly superior to the DV88, IMHO - something to do with the better power supply? Or something else?

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Will try to do an A-B tomorrow, our new PDP should arrive.

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm no expert, but I tested the DV88 and DV27 purely on CD replay using analogue interconnects and in my opinion there was a huge difference between the two, the DV27 was far better as a CD player, better soundstage, vastly improved bass response etc. hence I now have one on order!

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Simon: Not really related, but, I dropped into the Beaconsfield branch today. Very nice, shame I didn't have any time to have a listen to anything. I had a chat with Phil though.

Still not done an A-B yet though, may be getting a Panansonic PDP in and will do it then.

9. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rick,

Sorry it isn't quite finished yet! I am reluctant to give them their Linn Kivor - I have still got it set up behind my desk (with a handy Crestron CT-1000 just to the right of my mouse for easy track selection!). I keep telling them that I am fine-tuning the Crestron program, but really I can't bear to be without the Kivor!

BTW, don't want to make you pre-judge the outcome, but we have found the digital audio out on the DV27 to be outstanding, and the interlaced component out is streets ahead of the DV88's.

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Simon: It's a very nice shop! We still haven't received our PDP, but have taken an Iscan Pro, and Imerge HDD system.